Should I wait for Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MovingFromPC, Apr 28, 2009.

  1. MovingFromPC macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2009
    #1
    Hi all,

    New to forums.

    I am a PC user (ducks from tomatoes) and am considering purchasing a MacBook. As I see this as not just another purchase, but an investment, I want to be prudent about my timing. With that in mind, I know that Apple will be releasing Snow Leopard into the wild soon. Would I do myself a favor by waiting until that system is released before purchasing? What sort of upgrades can I expect Apple to make?

    And yes, I did see this story: http://www.macrumors.com/2009/04/01...-xserve-in-june-mac-pro-speed-boost-and-more/

    Thanks for any help!
     
  2. smooth macrumors 6502

    smooth

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2007
    Location:
    Detroit
    #2
    I'd say if you can wait, then wait. You'll likely save yourself some bucks and possibly see some minor spec bumps with the MacBooks, but nothing major. Traditionally, OS upgrades have been $129 but Snow Leopard is unique in that most of the changes/upgrades will be unseen so it may be possible that it may be cheaper. So if money is an issue and your PC is still working alright, I say wait. If not, just buy now.
     
  3. MovingFromPC thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2009
    #3
    I'm looking in the next month or so because of graduation (extra $$$) and it might make more sense financially to do it now rather than have to purchase on an emergency basis if/when my pc dies.

    At the same time, I hear what you're saying about waiting--it would be nice if Apple gave some kind of distinct indication of when it will release SL
     
  4. old-wiz macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2008
    Location:
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    #4
    Snow Leopard probably won't ship till august/september. even then you will be stuck with first release , which means more bugs. I always wait for the first update after release, like 10.6.1 instead of 10.6.0.
     
  5. rgarjr macrumors 603

    rgarjr

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    Location:
    Southern Cal
    #5
    There's just tons of these threads on here. Why are you gonna wait? What does SL have that the current one doesn't have. If people would be waiting for the next thing, they will never have anything.
     
  6. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

    Le Big Mac

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2003
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #6
    I agree. Buy if you're ready to buy. When SL comes out decide then whether it's worth it. It may not be, or maybe it will be. But you're paying $100 for the next 4-6 months of use, which is a pretty good deal.
     
  7. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

    zw-gator

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2005
    Location:
    Canada
    #7
    I'd wait and see what happens in June, reassess if you want to wait after that point.
     
  8. relativist macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2009
    #8
    Wait for sure, especially since your switching, it'll be an even nicer experience if you buy early in the life of the OS.
     

Share This Page