Should I wait for the Haswell MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by studentcollege, Aug 7, 2013.

1. studentcollege macrumors newbie

I am heading to college in 2 weeks. Have been waiting for a while for the updated MBP. But I need to get a computer soon. I would like to have the latest MBP but if I need to I can get a cMBP. Should I wait? Or get the cMBP? Advise?

2. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

What will you be doing with your computer? Some detailed info about your usage scenario would be helpful.

3. stevenash13 macrumors newbie

I'm sooo hungry. Should I eat something now? Or should I wait for my gf to come home and make me food?

4. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

If you're just taking notes and writing papers, take a look at the Air which already obtained better battery life. The back-to-school deals are going or gone soon and noone is sure when the Pro laptop will be updated. Besides, adding solely this to the MBP would justify the upgrade only for a small group [designers, photogs, etc].

5. studentcollege thread starter macrumors newbie

I will be pursuing an accounting degree. I will be using it mainly for notes and papers. I also will be using it a lot for music, movies, and such. I like the idea of having a disc drive in the computer too.

----------

Hm, okay, that makes sense. How much longer do the back-to-school deals usually go?

6. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

Many find that they don't miss the internal Superdrive. If it were me, I would purchase the USB version and keep it in my backpack.

7. studentcollege thread starter macrumors newbie

I was actually just thinking that the Air may be the best thing to invest in.. However, I'm a little concerned with only having 128gb. Would 256gb be plenty to work around with?

8. IndoX macrumors regular

For school I'd get 256gb. Plenty of space and you get a performance increase compared to the 128gb.

9. Dominus Mortem macrumors regular

I think it depends on how bugged you'll be by not having Haswell. It's coming eventually, probably during the Christmas buying season (announced ahead of that of course, but not available probably until late Oct. or Nov.). I have two non-Haswell rMBPs and I don't think I'll be feeling any real press to upgrade. The current lineup is damned nice in my opinion. Everyone wants the most for their money and hate the idea of an upgrade coming out weeks after they bought last year's model so if you feel you're going to be one of those, you should wait, it can't be long now.

10. HarrySlone macrumors newbie

My 2c

It's been a few years since I was in college, but being a fairly young person my advice...
    Go buy a nice, large capacity usb thumb drive.
    Then when you arrive at college ask where all the computer labs are.
    Wait the few months for a new MBP to be released (if that's what you want, get what you want), you will get the most years out of it and it will be the fastest at the same price you will pay for the current model MBP.
    In the mean time use the computer labs. (I found them to be the best place to do work anyway since I would get distracted in my dorm)
    If you find you absolutely cant wait go into the apple store with your new college ID and buy a current model (of whatever model you find will work best for you) and get the student discount or go with one of the back to school discounts though your school or apple online.

I found that so many students do the same thing, and think they need to buy a computer before they start, and you really don't.
    Just my 2c