Should I Wait for the new iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JonathanIsZen, Mar 1, 2012.

  1. JonathanIsZen macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2012
    Location:
    Knoxville, TN
    #1
    So, I’m about to sell my MacBook Pro (15”, early 2011). I’ve loved it, but I’ve found that I don’t use the portability aspect (event though I’m a student) and would rather have the reliability and screen size of an iMac.
    I’ve decided to buy the 27” iMac, in hopes that it will last me longer than the others. I do some light video/graphic editing, browsing, media, and I like a machine that can run games seriously, although it’s not a huge priority.
    I’ve decided to buy an iPad along with it. I will, of course, wait for the iPad 3, since it’s only 2 weeks or so away. But I was wondering if there would be any point to waiting for the iMac update. It’s obviously due for one very soon, but I didn’t know if it would be significant enough to deal without my own computer for the time until it came out (I’m selling my MBP tomorrow). Will whatever they update on it really be worth it? If it’s just a small processor bump, I would think not. Does anyone think they’ll be making big changes or even a redesign? If so, I would certainly want to wait.
     
  2. eightclicks macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2012
    #2
    The new iMac will likely arrive in the next month or two, but it might just as well take another 6 months. As for whether the update will be significant; only Apple can answer that question.

    I'm waiting for the update myself, but that's because my mid-2007 iMac is still holding up quite well. The 2011 model definitely isn't a bad choice, so going with that might be a better option than going without a computer for the next 1-6 months.
     
  3. JonathanIsZen thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2012
    Location:
    Knoxville, TN
    #3
    Well, I do know that past performance is not always an indicator with Apple, but in their recent history, the longest an iMac has gone without an update is 309 days. (According to MacRumors.)
    It is currently at 305. It would put it at 310 days if they refreshed it the same day as the iPad announcement–which I know some people believe will happen. But if it were to be 1-6 months, I would certainly want to just buy it now.
     
  4. Logos327 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    #4
  5. JonathanIsZen thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2012
    Location:
    Knoxville, TN
    #5
    Hm. Very good point. Makes me think waiting would be the best decision. Plus, if I do that, it really finalizes my decision to get the iPad 3 as soon as it comes out since I will need something to operate on in the gap. A week or 2 for the iPad 3 is not a big deal. But I don’t think I could pull of 7-10 weeks without any sort of computer (save using my parents’ and the school’s).
     
  6. alksion macrumors 68000

    alksion

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2010
    Location:
    Los Angeles County
    #6
    I went to uprank and realized I already did.. Lol..
     
  7. zarusoba macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2006
    Location:
    Australia
    #7
    Are iMacs more reliable than MacBook Pros?

     
  8. Logos327 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    #8
    I think it is your best bet as well. An iPad can get done the vast majority of tasks you will probably need to do, and you have the school's + parents' computers as backups. It might not be the most convenient for the next two months, but like I said in the post, I think it will pay off in the long run.

    I am not sure about if they are inherently more reliable, but, anything you cart around is more likely to suffer wear-and-tear / damage even with a case :).


    Thanks!
     
  9. Cygnus311 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 6, 2006
    #9
    I'm on a 6 year old MacBook and I'm waiting. I think you're crazy not too. It'll be available by the end of April. Take that to the bank.
     
  10. KingJosh macrumors 6502

    KingJosh

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2012
    Location:
    Australia
    #10
    im on a 2008 mac pro 3,1 and I am waiting for the new iMac :)

    I am going to max it out for 5-6 year proofing.
     
  11. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

    cocky jeremy

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2008
    Location:
    Columbus, OH
    #11
    Agree with your top paragraph completely. As for the second part, i'm waiting too, but my 2009 iMac is bad. Pretty sure my graphics card is dying. I'm taking it tomorrow to see. If it's fairly cheap to fix, i'm going to get a new graphics card and give this iMac to my girlfriend because she doesn't do anything but basic browsing, watching movies, etc. If it's not cheap, we're buying her a 2011 refurb and i'll try to keep using my 2009 until i can get a top of the line 2012.
     
  12. washburn macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2010
    #12
    I think we will see one last speed bump update on the current iMac and then a redesigned iMac towards the end of the year well after OS X settles in.
     
  13. Apple... macrumors 68020

    Apple...

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    Location:
    The United States
    #13
    It's strange; there hasn't been any updates in any of Apple's Mac line for months now. Getting anxious...
     

Share This Page