Should I wait for the next generation?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dgoosenberg, Feb 23, 2009.

1. dgoosenberg macrumors newbie

I really want an iPod touch and I'm having trouble deciding whether or not to wait for the next generation. The only improvements that I would expect in the next gen. would be a better screen, a faster processor, possibly a camera and maybe GPS? Those are nice but not that huge of a deal to me. What should I do? Thanks :D

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

3. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Better screen? Maybe
    Faster Processor? Probably, but Apple probably won't say the specs on it...
    Camera? No
    GPS? No

Other than that we can probably expect to see a memory increase, and maybe some new features that might be shown in the next iPhone release. Otherwise there will probably be some major software update with some great new features that we've been waiting for.

I'd say you are safe to buy now...

I think it is up to you to think if these updates are worth waiting until September for, and the software release will probably happen on past models too.

4. Brewerpaul macrumors regular

With technology, there's ALWAYS something better just around the bend. Believe me, the Touch is pretty terrific right now-- you might as well be enjoying it!

5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I say buy one...tomorrow. I imagine a new revision of memory increase and speed will happen within the next day or so since I just bought one for my wife- :eek: I actually bought the 1G iPod Touch 16GB for $219 and will pay $9.99 for the software upgrade...so expect a new release within a few weeks at the very least

6. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

If you can't decide for fear of something new coming later, then you shouldn't be a customer of electronics. The 2nd gen Touch has withstood the competition despite lacking an FM radio or bluetooth. Yes, the 2009 model might get an AMOLED screen, more memory, a new hardware feature (GPS?) or two, but if it doesn't come until September then you'll be without the joy of an iPod Touch for another 6 months or more.

7. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Agree with everyone-if you need it, buy it. If you can wait seven months you probably don't need it very much ;)