Should I wait for the next iPhone announcement or get iPhone 4 now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by crizza0309, Jul 20, 2011.

  1. crizza0309 macrumors regular

    Sep 4, 2008
    So I might get an iPhone this week, but with all these rumors IDK what to believe. I'm down to wait if the iPhone 5 has 64gb or a bigger screen or both! What should I do?
  2. saving107 macrumors 603


    Oct 14, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Does the current iPhone meet your needs? if so then buy now, if not then wait to see what improvements Apple makes to the next iPhone.
  3. Paradoxpm macrumors member

    Jun 15, 2011
    It's only a little more than a month away. Wait.
  4. ap3604 macrumors 68000

    Jan 11, 2011
    Are you kidding me?

    If you get the 4 now your going to hate yourself when the 5 comes out PLUS you will be stuck in a 2-yr contract when the iPhone 6 comes out this time next year and you STILL wont be able to upgrade...
  5. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

    Nov 11, 2008
    You still get phones on contract???

    Wait, for the new one, like Paradoxpm said, it's just a little over a month away, I'm chomping at the bit because my 3GS is now actually dying, I'm just hoping it'll make it to the delivery date of my iP5!
  6. BlindMellon macrumors 65816


    Apr 4, 2011
    I did the same thing last year when I got the 3GS and have been kicking myself ever since. It's still a great phone, but it's showing it's age. Holding out some more for the 5.
  7. nwcs macrumors 68000


    Sep 21, 2009
    Get a used one. No contract to deal with and you have something you can use now while you wait and see what the next one offers when it's finally announced.
  8. Centient macrumors 6502

    Oct 20, 2009
    Just wait. I don't think we'll see the kinds of upgrades in the i4s/i5 that will make those of us with i4's gnash our teeth in envy. However you've waited this long, you might as well wait another month or so and get the latest and greatest.
  9. mjstaceyuofm macrumors newbie

    Aug 29, 2006
    Definitely wait. There are rumors it could be out anywhere from mid-August to late September. If you can suck it up and wait 4-8 weeks I would. I know I am. my 3GS is long overdue to be replaced. Had it for 25 months now and will be very disappointed if the new phone is the 4S version vs. a true iPhone 5...
  10. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040


    Aug 1, 2010
    I have had my iPhone 4 for almost a year and am still madly in love with it, but at this point, if I were you, I would wait. It's looking more and more like the new one will not be a redesign in the looks department, but the guts will be a lot better (camera, processor, etc.) Wait.
  11. iJays macrumors regular

    Oct 6, 2009
  12. kilcher macrumors 65816


    Jul 3, 2011
    Better to wait and then choose between the 4 and 5 than to get the 4 now and be sorry when the 5 comes out. That's what I'm doing anyway.
  13. jbrooksga macrumors newbie

    Oct 23, 2008
    I was also in this position and decided to get the iPhone 4 now. Wasn't really enamored with the idea of either waiting in lines or hearing "out of stock" for weeks.

    It took me long enough to get my iPad 2, which is what I spend most of my time with anyway.
  14. The Game 161 macrumors P6

    The Game 161

    Dec 15, 2010
    Even when the 5 is out you will still be very happy with the iPhone 4. I know I will
  15. fsu06 macrumors newbie

    Jul 22, 2011
    What if you have an original iPhone? Wait or upgrade =P
  16. Maschil macrumors 6502a


    Jun 19, 2011
    but a 3gs or 3g and just pay per month with at&t then join a family plan contract when the iphone 5 comes out. thats what i did...
  17. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a


    May 18, 2010
    I'd just wait. Apple might actually do some cool stuff to this new iPhone - or they couldn't.
  18. illini71 macrumors member

    Dec 28, 2010
    You guys do know you can upgrade every six months, it will cost you 450, but Hey thats better than 707. Thats what a new iphone4 will cost with tax. You can buy a iphone 4 now for 200 sell it for for 450 on ebay. Then do an early upgrade for 450 on the new iphone5..............
  19. Maschil macrumors 6502a


    Jun 19, 2011
    don't you loose 250 though??? I say buy a used 3gs for 250....without contract.... then begin a new line and buy a new iphone 4gs/5 and sell the 3gs... you break even...that way...
  20. Diode macrumors 68020


    Apr 15, 2004
    Washington DC
    Depends on if you need a phone - when mine was stolen last weekend I went ahead and bought one out of contract so that way I can buy the new one when it comes out.

    I figured worst case I'd lose a hundred or so but I'll chalk it up as renting the phone for a couple weeks. Much better then signing a contract and not getting the next phone for a while.....
  21. bad1550 macrumors regular

    Aug 13, 2007
    Is iPhone 5 coming out for both verizon and AT&T?
  22. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

    Jan 9, 2006
    WAIT! I just got one cause my phone died and I didn't have a choice. I have bee able to upgrade since January. So to say the least I put a lot of time in waiting and now have and iPhone 4. I wish I would have bought a cheap dumb phone and waited it out.
  23. L I G H T I N G macrumors regular

    Feb 16, 2011
    Who doesn't?

    Everyone I know(99%) has a phone on 1 or 2 year contract.

    Buying an iPhone 700$ and then paying monthly still cost more money even if it adds flexibility.

Share This Page