Should i wait for the Snow Leopard!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vinzsanity, Apr 28, 2009.

1. vinzsanity macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

may be someone could give me some usefull informations...

im planing to switch to the mac hardware and want to buy a new iMac...
    Should i wait till the new OS is available?
    I mean if i buy the iMac now.. i will have to buy for an upgrade to Snow Leopard ( when it will be available)
    Or is there any possibility to upgrade without buying?

thx

vinzi

2. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

If you can wait for a few months, then wait. If you buy now, you get the mac, just remember you will end up paying $129 when SL comes out.

3. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

If you buy an iMac now, when Snow Leopard comes out you will have to pay for it if you choose to upgrade. You will have to make the decision about what is more value to you. Having your mac right now, but knowing that if you choose to update to Snow Leopard it will cost you $129. Or using you existing computer for a few more months and getting Snow Leopard for free (sort of) with your new computer.

4. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

It's not really the expense that is a problem, it is the installation. It is always good to start from scratch.

I just bought my iMac and I am looking forward to SL, I am not looking forward to doing the upgrade.

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I would actually recommend buying now and getting Snow Leopard in a year or so well after its release, if you have any idea how much software doesn't work with Snow Leopard at the moment, its going to be a nightmare, i know some companies will have released compatable software by the time of its release but still a lot wont have, and annoying things like Little Snitch wont work.

6. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Why's that? Snow Leopard won't slow down your computer, the whole concept is to speed it up! And if you really want to "start from scratch", just do a fresh install.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

OS X upgrades really aren't that bad...

8. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Maybe not in general, but the Leopard upgrade was a complete disaster. At least that was my experience.

9. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

You should first be sure that you really want to make that switch and that you know why you are doing it. "Macs are prettier than PCs" just doesn't cut it when you need to work with the thing. And when you have to install Parallels or VMWare Fusion or Boot Camp to run Windows, you already know that the decision was a mistake and that you haven't really switched -- you are still with one feet in the Windows world and obviously, you still NEED Windows for something. So it's almost a safe bet to say that your switch to the Mac wasn't fully thought through and probably you've just bought into the hype.

Now the question whether you should wait for Snow Leopard. Why don't you just wait for Windows 7 instead and install that on your PC and then decide if you still want to leave the Windows world? At least that upgrade won't cost you thousands of Dollars/Euros/whatever-your-currency-is. Windows 7 is incredibly faster than any flavor of Vista, even on weak machines. And it's got all the features a modern operating system needs.

Maybe you should really wait for the new Windows before you make an expensive switch that you might regret later.

10. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

That's a matter of opinion, I do occasionally Boot camp into windows. I have some work which I can't access unless I use IE. Also I play sims on my windows partition, though when sims 3 comes out I'll have to use windows maybe twice a month. For me using OSX is a far more pleasant experience than using Vista. To me what you are suggesting is, that I should put up with a less pleasant experience all the time because I need to use windows once every two weeks. That kind of like saying that you should live on the streets, because eventually you are going to have to leave the house.

11. The Hammer macrumors regular

I'd be inclined to wait for SL.

12. clueless19 macrumors newbie

personally i say you wait, its merely common sense.. whichever deal is the better right...

13. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

14. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...how stable are :apple: OS's when they first come out?

In the MS world you should wait 6+ months IMHO before getting any new OS to see what kind of "bugs"surface off the bat...

With the "beta" testing going on over the iMac with the 4850 video card right now (as a recent :apple: example), I'd say get what you need when you need it (probably now) and upgrade the OS later when you know its stable...

15. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They're pretty stable. I don't remember having any major issues (other than the annoying "keyboard + trackpad don't respond" bug) with Leopard when I upgraded, and even that was fixed pretty soon after.