Should I wait for the updated MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by -AbbeyRoad-, Jun 8, 2011.

  1. -AbbeyRoad- macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2010
    #1
    I was hoping the Forums could help me out with a little problem. I am planning on purchasing a Macbook Air within the next few weeks. I would be using it for browsing the Web, Mail, iTunes, documents, light picture and video editing, Garageband work, and Xcode. I would be getting a base 13 inch with a RAM increase. Now, my question is this: Do you think I should hold out for the updated Airs, or will the current Airs meet my needs sufficiently? I would only be using the Air for about 2-2.5 years. Thanks!
     
  2. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

    tom vilsack

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2010
    Location:
    ladner cdn
    #2
    i would wait for mid july (5 week wait) your get sandy and lion.
     
  3. Ijustfarted macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2011
  4. KylePowers macrumors 68000

    KylePowers

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2011
    #4
    Will the upcoming MBA satisfy your needs?
    Yes.

    Will the current MBA satisfy your needs?
    Yes.

    Should you wait for the new MBA?
    Yes

    Why?
    Because you're a stickler for new Apple products.
    Because it's (more than likely) within your purchasing time frame.
    Because the current MBAs will be sold for even cheaper.
    Because the new MBAs may over or underwhelm you.
     
  5. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

    42streetsdown

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2011
    Location:
    Gallifrey, 5124
    #5
    For what you say you want to do the current MBA would work ....fine. I mean it's a great machine, but with the update so near I'd recommend waiting. That is if you don't really need it right away. Who knows though, the update might be close enough to buy a current one and return it when the new one comes
     
  6. palpatine macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    #6
    get it whenever you want. the current one and the (potential) one will likely be plenty for what you are doing.
     
  7. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2010
    #7
    There is a serious difference between the old generation Core 2 Duos and new generation Sandy Bridges. Samsung 9 Series with the i5-2537M is at least 1.5 times faster than the current MBA. And rumors say that Apple might use a even faster CPU than the 2537M.
     
  8. KylePowers macrumors 68000

    KylePowers

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2011
    #8
    But couldn't we all agree that for his needs, the difference is negligible?

    *I've never used Garageband or Xcode, but I'm under the impression they're not particularly CPU intensive
     
  9. GoHack macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 7, 2009
    Location:
    Palmdale, CA
    #9
    What about the fact that they won't be using the Nvidia GPU, but instead Intel's, at least from what I've read?

    Intel has yet to build a decent GPU.

    .
     
  10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

    Abstract

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2002
    Location:
    Location Location Location
    #10
    You should wait. Why not? You only need to wait until July, August, September, or October. ;)
     
  11. lasuther macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2004
    Location:
    Grand Haven, Michigan
    #11
    I agree. It is worth waiting to get a Lion installation USB. Hopefully new Airs are released before then.
     
  12. palpatine macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    #12
    you would wait more than a month for a (possible) new Air and Lion ($30)? If I had the OP's minimal needs, I wouldn't. I'd get it and enjoy it now. I guess I am just too impatient to be strung along by product cycles.
     
  13. Bomino macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2011
    #13
    Well if your not getting it for a few more weeks anyways, then why not just look at the current rumors when you are ready to buy? It might be out by then, if not really close.
     
  14. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2010
    #14
    You should wait for the refresh after the coming refresh.
     
  15. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

    GekkePrutser

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2005
    Location:
    Ireland
    #15
    It's not certain they'll come with a Lion USB stick though, is it? It might have a recovery partition instead as rumored. Bad idea if you replace your harddrive, but with the MBA that's not a user-serviceable part anyway.

    By the way I hate the App store for OS updates so I'd be very happy to get a USB stick!
     
  16. brand macrumors 601

    brand

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2006
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    #16
    What's to say that it won't have both a recovery partition and a USB recovery drive?
     
  17. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

    42streetsdown

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2011
    Location:
    Gallifrey, 5124
    #17
    yes, Ivy Bridge is gonna rock the MBA
     
  18. meaty macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2011
  19. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2010
    #19
    Faster is always better. Even better for the same price. ;) Plus free Lion.

    And about the 320M issue, I'd prefer Intel HD 3000 graphics. It's integrated and runs cooler. 320M is a tiny bit faster than HD 3000 and you can't play any games with the 320M anyway.
     
  20. magbarn macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2008
    #21
    My MBA 13 plays WoW much faster than my buddy's MBP 13 i5 which is much faster than the down-clocked SB that's going to be put in the next gen MBA. Even SC2 plays decently. Remains to be seen about the cooler part as the current MBP 13 run much hotter than the previous C2D/320M MBP 13.
     
  21. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

    gdeputy

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2008
    Location:
    New York
    #22
    if you NEED it now get it, otherwise I would personally wait.
     
  22. hcho3, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011

    hcho3 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 13, 2010
    #23
    I would wait because the current MBA prices will drop even more when the new one comes out.

    I don't care about sandy bridge. That thing has an intel graphic card.

    Also, the person who just wrote, "I prefer Intel HD 3000 over Nvidia 320M. Please keep your opinions to yourself. There is no graphic card comparison between Intel HD vs Nvidia or ATI cards. You are seriously mocking yourself by saying Intel HD card is better than Nvidia card.

    I know what Intel HD 3000 is and I have seen this card on Samsung Series 9 with low voltage Sandy Bridge processor. It's AWFUL.

    Finally, also free lion makes absolutely no F sense. Apple already issued a statement that they will offer free lion upgrade to anyone who purchase Mac after their WWDC keynote. So, waiting for lion is absolutely stupid. The thing costs only 29.99 dollars. If you can afford 1000-1500 dollars on a laptop, but cannot afford 30 dollars for a software. You are making a poor excuse.
     
  23. islanders macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2006
    Location:
    Charleston, SC
    #24
    lion performance?

    Any insight on how the current processor CD2 would handle Lion and future OS upgrades?

    For example the G3 has done very well for all these years with the OS upgrades. Right now I'm using a wireless N, upload to basic video to Utube, FB, etc.

    Would getting 4GB or RAM be wise to keep up the performance?

    Sorry if this question seems really basic. I'm don't use a lot of power but don't want to get blindsided by trying to save a few hundred.
     
  24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2007
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    #25
    I would max out the ram before maxxing out the processor.
     

Share This Page