Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I ordered this (first image) Iomega drive on Oct 31 and have still to get it. It was pre-order and then it became availably but promptly out of stuck without my order being fulfilled. Now they're telling me up to 28 days before i get it. At this point im not sure its worth the weight, the only reason i bought it was because it supports FW and USB with a decent space 320GB for a decent price relative to the competition

However, i've found another drive (second image) which is now £2 cheaper due to VAT cut but it has no FW only USB support and its ready to ship. Im thinking of just taking this one, after all USB transfer can't be that bad

What do you guys think?

PS- Mods, this is a duplicate thread. i just felt its a buying question hence more suited to this part of the forum as opposed to Mac Peripherals section so feel free to delete the post in the Mac peripheral section and leave this one

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
you only save £2 with that other one, might as well wait and get the firewire so you have the option of using either interfaces

28 days though...im tired of waiting...haven't backed up in a while which is too risky

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
You must be living in some very remote part of the world. Here there are 100 places I could buy a FW external disk drive in sizes up to 1TB and have it today. There is no point in waiting and there is no point in getting what you don't want. It's possable now to get a 1TB drive with FW for $150.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I was looking specifically for 2.5" (notebook) drives as i plan to take this with me a lot.

PcBgone

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
I run 3 external hard drives connected via usb hub, connected to my time capsule.

Within those three drives, contain my itunes music and movies. Just the other day, I was rearranging files on one of the drives, and had to move 4 movies which were about 3gigs each, to my desktop, and then back to one of the other drives(Im running out of space and am having to rearrange according to space). It took about 30 mins through usb over the network to get all 4 movies moved. My network is gigabit.

Overall, Im satisfied with the speed. Im not impatient though. I dont have to have it done right then and there. Usb has worked for me, and will continue to work for me, as I plan on adding about 3 more usb drives shortly to continue my movie/music collection.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
something to keep in mind: a lot of 2.5" USB drives need two USB ports, one for power, one for data.

USB isn't that bad (in terms of write speed), FW just leaves an extra USB port available. Read speeds are also significantly faster with FW, if that matters to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.