Should I wait for update of iPod

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacMosher, Jun 27, 2007.

  1. MacMosher macrumors 6502

    MacMosher

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2006
    Location:
    Canada
    #1
    Hey guys,

    Well I am currently working getting my money back from future shop through the product service plan because my mp3 player broke.

    I will be recieving the gift certificate at the end of july-ish. I am wondering if I should try to hold off and wait for an update, or just not bother and get a Nano right away?

    I would more then likely just get the low end Nano because I don't have more then 2 GB of music anyways.

    Mosher
     
  2. mchank macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2006
    #3
    You should wait. The education deal ends in September and there will definitely be a new ipod out for the Christmas buying season. The hype is all about the iphone now but there's no way that Apple will forget the ipod as that is geared toward a much wider audience.
     
  3. Gymnut macrumors 68000

    Gymnut

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2003
    #4
    Yes, wait. If the iPhone is any indication of what the next generation of iPod would look like I can't imagine Apple not hitting it out of the park.
     
  4. MacMosher thread starter macrumors 6502

    MacMosher

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2006
    Location:
    Canada
    #5
    ok thanks, the only reason Im even thinking about I guess is because I have to send my other one back and will be with out music for what will probably seem to be an eternity.

    Hopefully the wait will be worth it! I don't know how much of a change I for see in the Nano anyways... any speculation?
     
  5. mrkramer macrumors 603

    mrkramer

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2006
    Location:
    Somewhere
    #6
    my speculation totally unfounded in any rumors is that the Nano could get full screen and video capability, possibly also wi-fi. and most likely a bump in capacity.
     
  6. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

    ricgnzlzcr

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2005
    #7
    Pick up a cheap used or refurbished ipod shuffle to hold you off until the refresh and then sell it. You'll probably lose 20 bucks at max, but you'll gain lots of value in a new ipod and still won't have to suffer without music.
     
  7. Telp macrumors 68040

    Telp

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2007
    #8
    I know everybody is telling you to wait, but i say just buy one. I am all for waiting, but with the iphone due out tomorrow, and Leopard due out in October, i dont see the next ipod update till sometime, at the very least, december or january. This is my pure thinking, and i may be wrong. You do what you want, and you can't go tooooo wrong. :)
     
  8. iW00t macrumors 68040

    iW00t

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2006
    Location:
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    #9
    Buy it if you need it, wait if you want it.

    And no matter how hard you try to cut it, no one needs an iPod.

    The present iPods have pretty much been the same for 2 years. I'd wait.
     
  9. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2007
    Location:
    NC
    #10
    I say unless you are going to take advantage of the Education + iPod deal (which you're not) then just wait.

    Apple is emptying out it's iPod stock.
     
  10. Schroedinger macrumors regular

    Schroedinger

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2004
    Location:
    Baltimore, MD
    #11
    If all have is 2GB of music and all you want to do is listen to music, go buy a nano right now. If the current nano is missing some function (I can't imagine what beyond better battery life) then don't buy it and wait for the product you want/need.

    I'm waiting on a new iPod (to replace a 3G) b/c I need 100 gigs of storage with video playback (If a 100 gig model existed today I'd get it). For simple music playback, my nano is perfect, and god forbid, it isn't the newest fanciest model.

    Regarding a nano, I'd suggest getting a 4 GB model. That way your music library could double and you'd still be okay space wise.
     
  11. MacMosher thread starter macrumors 6502

    MacMosher

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2006
    Location:
    Canada
    #12
    Yeah I am deffinitly thinking the same way you are. I will wait till I recieve my refund and if there is no speculation by then that is eye catching enough for me then I will just go ahead and get one now... it would really help on the long plane rides ahah.

    thanks
     
  12. TheBigL macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2007
    Location:
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    #13
    What are you thinking for the new ipod's? Pretty much a higher capacity iphone, sans phone and data capability?

    -Terry
     
  13. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

    Mhaddy

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2005
    Location:
    Canada
    #14
    I'm in the same boat as the original poster. My 1st gen Nano finally died so I've been borrowing friend's shuffles, dusting off my old MiniDisc player, and even an MP3 CD player from a friend. I'm restraining myself very hard right now from purchasing a new iPod as I'm dying to see what the next gen is going to look like.
     

Share This Page