iPad Pro Should i wait on new iPad Pro ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gdeusthewhizkid, Jun 7, 2019.

  1. gdeusthewhizkid macrumors 6502a


    Nov 14, 2008
    hi guys,

    With the new iPad OS coming soon.. I think i want to pick up a 2018 iPad Pro 1TB for my editing, and entertainment needs.. Do you guys think a new one is coming.. I would like to pick up one soon with the new 23.7 display for my editing video and photography needs plus entertainment..

    What do you guys think. I currently own a 10.5 256 gig iPad Pro cellular...
  2. tps3443 macrumors 6502a


    Jan 24, 2019
    A new iPad Pro is not coming out for at least a year from now. Most likely June of 2020. If your planning to edit video, or photos a 1TB iPad Pro is perfect. I love mine, and I couldn’t recommend it more.
  3. AceFernalld macrumors 68000


    Mar 3, 2008
    Source? I could see a processor upgrade in the fall, but certainly no big upgrades should be expected until 2H 2020 IMO.
  4. chabig macrumors 603

    Sep 6, 2002
    No source needed. Everything is speculation. Nobody knows.
  5. AutomaticApple macrumors 65816


    Nov 28, 2018
    There’s no source.
  6. squizzler macrumors regular


    Feb 11, 2019
    You Kay
    What’s wrong with your current iPad Pro?? Still a powerful machine.
  7. mikzn macrumors 65816


    Sep 2, 2013
    My two cents would be is the extra screen worth the money and dollars the change?

    I love the 12.9 for the screen size and love every pixel of extra space but it probably isn’t too much of a difference?
  8. Macalway macrumors 68030

    Aug 7, 2013
    The big change recently, and into the near future, will have been software. I don't see improved screen tech, or die shrinkage until next year. Go for it.
  9. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Nov 14, 2008

    The 1TB internal storage and the ability to import photos and videos via usb C hard drive or camera and connecting to a big monitor. I cant do that current with my current iPad Pro.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 8, 2019 ---
    I do love my current iPad Pro. I use it all the time.. but debating should i get new iPad Pro with keyboard and pencil.. or new mac has been a major decision for me... lol...
  10. turbineseaplane macrumors 601


    Mar 19, 2008
    I'd wait.
    You're already vacillating a bit, which tells me it's not pressing or anything and much more about "want" than "need", as you've hinted at above.

    "Waiting" in tech is almost always a great decision. You can always buy later and usually with better deals to choose from. Get the most out of what you have if it's still working great and you enjoy it.
  11. tps3443, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019

    tps3443 macrumors 6502a


    Jan 24, 2019
    Waiting is useless in tech. There will always be something better in the future. But, why miss out now and not enjoy something now? I can go buy a top of the line CPU for my PC right now, and that CPU will haul ass the day I get it, and it’ll still haul ass 2 years from after I bought it. It’s not always about owning something for it to be the best of the best. It is about buying something and upgrading to accomplish the goals you need that product for.

    The great deals are happening right now. 1TB of storage and 6GB of ram is right now. And if someone needs it then by all means, I’d recommend it.

    We have at least a year from now before a new iPad Pro will release. Your mind set is like this, When the next iPhone launches, you may as well tell people not to buy one because a new iPhone will replace it in 12 months.

    Well the iPads more or less have a 18-20 month life spans. So, if he bought one right now it would be similar to buying a iPhone on its launch day!

    You your self own a first gen iPad Pro! You are still using it. So, what is wrong with him buying a iPad Pro 3rd gen and keeping it for several years too?

    “Nope don’t buy a 3rd gen”, “a new one will just come out next year”. Who cares?! This is the silliest thought process I’ve ever heard.

    It is about needing something now wanting to upgrade, and being able to use that product for years to come and enjoy it and having a new product to enjoy new technology, or buying something and it was a massive upgrade over your current iPad Pro. It isn’t about buying something and worrying about how long before the newness will fade.
  12. Seanm87 macrumors 6502

    Oct 10, 2014
    I agree with this. Tech moves on so fast no point in waiting just go for it. There are no rumours about a new iPad Pro and if one does launch I imagine it will be a very minor update as the last one was significant.
  13. muzzy996 macrumors 6502

    Feb 16, 2018
    I don’t - not in the context of tech always advancing but because some of us would have the OP spend their money with complete disregard for their intended workflow. Some may see video editing and think oh sure the iPad can do that; it can but some have distinct workflow requirements that may not be optimized on iOS now or in 13. Wouldn’t it be prudent for OP to know for sure if their expected workflow is possible? I saw mention of external monitor in their post and it gave me pause.
  14. ericwn macrumors 68020

    Apr 24, 2016
    iPad Pro 11” or wait for october
  15. dazlicous macrumors 6502a


    Jun 2, 2011
    I am waiting. While the 3rd gen 12.9 is a beast I am concerned over the strength of the device.
    I have a 1st gen 12.9 which is still a great tablet for my needs. I only use it for browsing and light gaming so while the newest is brilliant it’s not has robust has the original
  16. dfgddikf macrumors regular

    Sep 10, 2015
    I wouldn't be surprised if they release refreshed iPad Pros in September/October. Some small improvements to remove the kinks and bring them to the standard of the then current iPhones.

    - stronger shell
    - 6 GB RAM for all models
    - A13X
    - newer, better camera

    I was very close to ordering an iPad Pro 11 after they announced iPad OS and I got my tax refund the same day. But the bending issue let me hesitate and then I blew the money on other stuff.
  17. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601


    Apr 7, 2012
    I would be very surprised, as they haven't been on a yearly upgrade cycle in a while, but you never really know with Apple. Your scenario could happen as well. But I think your scenario is more likely for mid 2020.
  18. T-Bob macrumors 6502a


    Oct 23, 2013
    Stronger shell is least likely in that list unless they can do it without adding significant weight. Also wasn’t aware the 11” has bending issues as it is quite a bit smaller with less surface area, suppose it’s still possible with force. Doubt there will be refresh this year, too soon.
  19. duervo macrumors 68020


    Feb 5, 2011
    Not sure it matters for you, but the 1TB models have 6GB RAM in them, as opposed to 4GB in the ones with smaller capacities.
  20. UnLiMiTeD558 macrumors 6502a

    Dec 20, 2009
    The 11” model was the one at the heart of the bending controversy more so than the 12.9”
  21. Freida macrumors 68000

    Oct 22, 2010
    I'm waiting as well. I was ready to buy but after the bending fiasco I decided to wait. So October with stronger aluminium, new chip and I'll be a happy camper. Don't need anything else.
    For the price they are charging now I would expect a product that is simply not that fragile. Just like 6S got better aluminium this should to. So until then, no buy from me :)
  22. T-Bob macrumors 6502a


    Oct 23, 2013
    Didn't realize that was worse than 12.9", interesting.

    Fair enough. But based on release history, won't be October. Usual cycle is 18 months, not 12. This could change of course but better to set expectations low.
  23. Freida macrumors 68000

    Oct 22, 2010
    I hear you but I still feel we will see an update in Oct/Nov timeframe.
    I would expect Apple to want to push a tiny update soon as there is more people like me so just adding latest chip, stronger aluminium and maybe update on the came is what would be enough. No event needed. Before xmas it would be logical step. Also, historically, I think Apple addressed any issue that arised in the past. So the weaker aluminium on 6 was changed in 6S, keyboard (on tiny percentage of MBP, according to Apple) got tweaked to v3 now so Apple does address things. I can't seem them having a big gap on this one. Even if its just tiny % and non issue I still consider it an issue long term and won't upgrade my aging Air 2 until this is addressed. So yeah, I would love to wait till Oct/Nov but if Apple drags it then I'll wait till whenever its fixed. Its a PRO afterall so they should treat it as such for that price tag.
  24. rumz macrumors 6502a

    Feb 11, 2006
    I figure it's iPadOS that has me finally convinced to upgrade my Pro-- so I'm good to wait until fall when that OS is available.

    Another reason why Apple might bump the iPad Pro release cadence up is that iPads have been growing in sales / profitability, while iPhone sales have been flattening out a bit. They could certainly keep iPad Pros updated with the latest A series chip and whatever other minor refinements to keep them as fresh as possible. With iPadOS and the features it brings, along with how powerful / capable the A series chips have become, the iPad and iPad Pro become more serious PC replacement for a growing number of use cases. More reason to update more frequently.

    Or they could keep updating every 18-20 months. We'll see.
  25. DragonX macrumors regular

    Mar 23, 2013
    I would wait until Apple admits and fixes all the hardware problems with recent iPads.

Share This Page

43 June 7, 2019