Should I wait or buy now???

Discussion in 'iMac' started by simonb1975, Jul 26, 2010.

  1. simonb1975 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    #1
    I need to buy some iMacs for work - 27-inch: 2.66GHz Quad Core - is it worth waiting to see what (if anything) comes out before xmas?
    Can't remember when the current models came out, was it end of last year?
    If so will the same happen this year?
    Has anyone got the inside knowledge on launch dates?!:)
     
  2. spinnerlys Guest

    spinnerlys

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Location:
    forlod bygningen
    #2
  3. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

    IgnatiusTheKing

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2007
    Location:
    das Fort
  4. MathijsDelva macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2008
    #4
    With today's rumours it would be the worst decision in the history of mankind to buy an iMac now. The new iMac's could come as soon as tomorrow; although my guess is it will be the 3rd, 10th or 17th of august.
     
  5. simonb1975 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    #5
    thanks for your replies I might as well wait for a bit I think!:)
     
  6. OatmealRocks macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2009
    #6
    I am ready to buy too.. May give it one more week. Also there is a 2-week no questions ask return period. If the refresh falls in that window I will go for the refresh. If not I don't mind too much. I want to get the i7 27 and I htink they most significant change would be on the 21.5 models.. but who knows.
     
  7. makeready macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2010
    #7
    When the update comes out, will I still be able to order the previous model online (hopefully at a discounted rate?) How about refurbished last-gen models?
     
  8. aneftp macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2007
    #8
    Now is the time to wait. The iMacs were released more than 9 months ago.

    It will be a minor bump in specs. Maybe USB 3.0. But I don't see blu ray on the horizon.

    I've been enjoying my core i7 iMac for the past 7 months.

    But once they refresh the current iMacs, I hate seeing these "should I buy or wait" right after a refresh.

    But once again, now is the time to wait. It may be tomorrow but most likely less than 2 months.
     
  9. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

    IgnatiusTheKing

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2007
    Location:
    das Fort
    #9
    Don't forget that there is a 10% restocking fee, which could end up costing you a couple hundred bucks if you choose not to wait and then regret that decision.

     
  10. pixel-vs-pencil macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2010
    Location:
    London
    #10
    This doesn't apply if you buy from the UK store, I just got off the phone from a nice lady at Apple earlier.

    My i5 just arrived today, but I think I will exchange it if there is a refresh within the next few weeks. If you've got another computer to use in the meantime, I'd wait.
     
  11. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

    IgnatiusTheKing

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2007
    Location:
    das Fort
    #11
    I didn't know that but it's definitely good news for you UK folks. I guess that's why Apple includes the "except where prohibited" clause in the ToS.
     
  12. Blu-Ray macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2008
    Location:
    Colorado
    #12
    Now the rumor is the new iMacs could be released tomorrow. If this happens, it would be two weeks sooner than I expected. IMO, only buy now if you want to get a refurb or if you think the price will jump outside your budget.
     

Share This Page