Should I wait or Buy?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Zelnaga, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Zelnaga macrumors regular

Ive been considering this for a while now, but Im looking to buy an iMac for the first time. Im selling my PC to a friend for £450 which leaves me without a desktop soon enough, but I have a laptop to tie me over.

What am i going to use iMac for?

Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, Team Fortress 2
    Surfing Web/Music etc ... Everyday tasks
    Anime watching - Alot of it
    Parellel XP or Windows 7

Should I wait or buy? The only reason Im asking now is because I work in the education industry and one of the apple reseller stores are knocking £200 all iMacs, and so high end is £1024 and the high end 27 i5 is £1436. But they said the deal wouldnt be there for the refresh (i take that comment with a pinch of salt as they might, but judging on the new mac minis and ipads there wouldnt be a reduction in price), but its still a good deal. But would a C2D and current graphics card on the current 21.5 be good enough for what I want to do? Id consider i5 but it might be too huge for me. Im still pondering though.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

High-end 21.5" does those fine but a new one would do it better, especially gaming. 200£ off sounds like a good deal so it's up to you.

3. davidw macrumors member

Do you really want to play games that are coming out in 2010 and 2011 with a graphics card from 2008? Do you want to play those games on a super high resolution, 27" screen?

The current iMac graphics card is an ATI 4850, which premiered in August of 2008. Undoubtedly, the next iMac will feature a far better GPU.

I'm going to be playing Diablo 3 and Civilization V on my next iMac, and knowing how much even Civilization IV slows down my 2.8 GHz C2D 2007 iMac (Geekbench scores in the 4000s) I know I need the best system possible.

The decision is obvious.

4. mrmarts macrumors 65816

I decided buy an iMac 27 as I was tired of vista for 3 and half years iam going to use my iMac for starcraft 2 and diablo 3 otherwise the rest the same if you are going for the 27 inch go for it if it's a 21 you better brave it out as it only has a 256mb video card it also depends what you had it in your old pc.

5. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

As someone else mentioned you have to look at whats inside.

The imac seems to have the body of a sports car with the engine of a economy car

If it was me, I would wait for a more update graphic sub assembly.
    1 year in the graphics area is 10 in human years, let alone 2 years

6. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I would definitely wait for a new one. It hasn't been updated in quite some time (quite a few days over the average now) so it is really going to happen anytime now.

I doubt Apple will let their flagship consumer product go without updates a year or longer when competitors update their computer line ups every 3 months (if not more frequently).

I do not care for the video card so much as I am not a gamer, but it would be nice to have an update anyway just for future proofing. The biggest change I can see that would benefit everyone is a move to making i3's, i5's, i7s, standard across the board.

Since I do some video and audio encoding, if I can improve my speed by 30% to 50% for those tasks, the wait will have been worth it.

Plus, even if you don't need anything and the machines out now are 100% fine for your needs, you're still better of waiting. This way you can buy them on clearance at a discount and save a cool few hundred bucks on top of any savings currently in place.

7. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

You won't be able to max out Starcraft 2 with a mobility 4670. Either get a 27 inch with the mobility 4850, or wait for an update.