Should I wait or Cave In?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ThunderApple, Mar 26, 2012.

1. ThunderApple macrumors 6502

I'm going to be graduating from high school this year and I will be going to a art
    College for visual effect.

I currently don't have a laptop of my mine, only a self built desktop.
    Now I do want to get a MacBook pro for when I do go for college but I heard they're going to do a refresh this year.

I heard rumors saying they would in the summer and others saying they will I the fall.

Should I just wait until they refresh it or what? Any idea out there on when they will refresh the MBP line?

2. kefaith macrumors member

I would wait. I AM waiting actually. Going for the 17" though. Not sure if it would be released with the 13" and 15" or I would have to wait longer.

3. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

WAIT. You'll have this laptop your entire college career.

Even if the new MacBook Pros come out in October, it's a lot wiser to have the better laptop starting in October 2012, and use it through graduation in Summer 2016, than using an old laptop just to have it in August-Sept 2012, but be stuck with that all the way to Summer 2016.

Use paper for notes and an organizer, and use the school's free computer centers for the first couple of months. It will also get you to know the campus more and meet more people by using the public facilities more. Then when you get a laptop, you'll better know how most of the school gets along without a laptop, and appreciate your laptop more. There won't be a lot of assignments due before October anyways.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd wait, especially if you're not starting college right off the bat, i.e., this summer but rather this fall. We're on the cusp of a new machine, and waiting is better

5. njean777 macrumors 6502

If you have that long to wait, then I would just wait it out. If you needed it now I would just say do what you want to do.

6. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Like the others say, an update seems "imminent" so definitely wait. Even if like mr maflynn said, you start in the summer, the release _may_ be in april so its definitely not optimal to buy one right now.

7. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

A few other thoughts - I don't know if you're living in a dorm, or commuting to your school......

If you're dorming, it's better not to bring brand-new expensive things to the dorm, like a laptop, in the first couple of months. Things get stolen very easily these first few months. You don't know who to trust. Once you have solid relationships with people, there is less of a chance for someone to walk off with your stuff.