Should I wait or sell now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stimm32, Feb 19, 2013.

  1. stimm32 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2010
    #1
    Hi,
    I am new to these forums, so forgive me if this should be in the MacBook category rather than the MBP category. Anyway, I am college-bound this coming August, and am planning on selling my current MacBook (late 2009 model) and getting a new MacBook Pro. I have heard that Apple is expected to release a refresh of the MBP in June with the new Haswell chips. So, my question is, would you recommend waiting and selling my MacBook after they come out and risking that it might go down in value, or selling it now and getting a MacBook Air or something for the time being, then selling that, hoping it will maintain value better? I know it's a weird question, but if anyone knows anything or has any advice, it is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
     
  2. abc123 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2004
    #2
    Apple have just done a teeny tiny refresh of the rMPB. They may or may not refresh again in June, though my money would be on a later date, probably around september (purely speculation).

    If you are happy with your Macbook and it isn't causing you any frustration right now then it could be worth the wait as the Haswell chips sound great. On the other hand, if you are struggling with the Macbook and getting frustrated, save yourself the stress and buy now.

    I don't really know about the resale value of your Macbook though, hopefully someone else can comment there.
     
  3. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2012
    #3
    If you are planning to get an Air or 13 inch pro I would recommend waiting. If you plan on getting the 15 inch then I would say sell and buy now.
     
  4. stimm32 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2010
    #4
    It hasn't been giving me any trouble whatsoever. In fact, it is probably the best computer I have ever owned. However, I am getting a new one this summer at the latest regardless.

    I suppose that I figure that even a MacBook a generation behind, assuming they DO refresh in June, with a SLIGHTLY older chip will still be a whole lot faster than what I have now.

    I think I am ultimately going to go with a 15 inch Pro. This is purely because, despite the good things I have heard about the integrated graphics, I still like to have a dedicated graphics processor. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?


    Thanks for the responses!
     
  5. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2012
    #5
    If that is the case then yes go for the 15. Yes the integrated in Haswell is improved but despite this it still will not out preform an actual GPU. Also take note that the GPU in the 15 inch is overclocked from a regular 650m.
     

Share This Page