Should I wait til June?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fokket, Apr 23, 2009.

1. fokket macrumors regular

With the MBP update seeing so imminent, I'm wondering whether to wait or not.

The primary factor is that I'm graduating this June so I want to take advantage of student discount and my worry is that they won't actually start shipping until July if announced on WWDC.

Thanks in advance

2. fokket thread starter macrumors regular

I should also add that I'm thinking of buying the 2.66 with 3yr Applecare and sell it when Nehalem comes out so that the 2.66 will be more attractive when selling 2nd hand.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You'll most likely be able to get away with using your education discount during the summer even if you've graduated. They're pretty lax about checking on things like student status. Apple usually doesn't announce hardware stuff at WWDC anyway.

4. brguitarist macrumors member

If you're planning to sell it in a couple of years you might as well wait and see what happens in June.

5. fokket thread starter macrumors regular

still think there will at least be a press release... to my knowledge folks at WWDC love to use MBP

or was the MArch speed bump for that. but too quiet to be 'update'

6. iMacmatician macrumors 601

The 2007 MacBook Pros were announced the week before WWDC.

7. Shivetya macrumors 65816

My rule of thumb is.

If you can wait you don't need it anyway.

Really, if you don't need it now then why would you need it then? Granted this would not apply in timely situations like school starts next quarter.

I have heard, through a cousins best friend's cheating wife from the guy she was doing but may have been her brothers best friends brothers girlfriends other brother ... oh where was I... that a whole new crop of rumors of pending doom of June's MBPs occurs a few months later. Oh, and then we will have pending doom for that generation soon afterward that won't be so doomful if you wait just three more months

8. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I'd wait.

Just out of curiously, any reason your are concerned about your student discount? In my experience, buying elsewhere (Amazon & ClubMac) is cheaper.

9. fokket thread starter macrumors regular

Reason I don't need it now is because of my C2d iMac (1st gen), but I'll need a portable from June/July. Heck, original plan was to buy the new iMac just came out. I'm currently at UK where a student discount gets 15% discount and that is cheaper that HE discount in US. (I've compared prices already)

10. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

If no updates are released n June... how much longer can you wait?

If you need it now, then buy it. The current MBP is a great machine.

If you can wait, then do that. I would not worry about the Education discount being the deciding factor (you will still be eligible in the future, unless drastic changes happen at Apple and they drop the program).