Should I wait till 2010?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by b1u3b0y, Sep 23, 2009.

  1. b1u3b0y Guest

    Mar 24, 2008
    I'm looking to get a Macbook Pro and I've figured these are the specs I want.

    3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    MacBook Pro 15-inch Antiglare Widescreen Display
    Backlit Keyboard (English) / User's Guide

    Now my only uncertainty is if I should purchase a Macbook Pro now or should I wait till the new model (if there is one) comes out in 2010?

    I'd also like suggestion on the 15" vs 17" display and if it's worth the extra money? I currently have a 20" iMac and figure I can connect the 15" to the display if need be?

    Thanks for any help!
  2. oculus42 macrumors 6502

    Dec 9, 2002
    The Buyers Guide here is a handy tool for estimating when new revisions come out, but there will always be a newer/faster/better/cheaper computer out soon. Get what you want/need when you want/need it.

    The 1440x900 screen in the 15" is a little small for some of the work I do (I use a 1920x1200 24" and a 2560x1600 30" at work) but I'm happy with the size of the computer.

    And I'm not sure how you mean with connecting the screen of the iMac to the MacBook Pro. The iMac screen is not able to accept other inputs. Your iMac can run an additional screen, but not be used as a screen for another computer.
  3. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a


    Dec 27, 2008
    What are you going to be using the machine for??
    Thats the single biggest factor in this decision for you by the sounds of things.. websites n itunes, a lil bit of ichat/adium and 13-15" would be fine for that.. if your thinking about doing more photoshop, final cut, protools, logic etc then something bigger will probably be required. I would go with the 17" if your looking at more editing side of things, and would be tempted to get more ram than max out the CPU, although maxxing out the CPU does future proof you for at least 2/3 years!!

    I do all the things i just descibed on a 15" old version MBP (non unibody) and its not a problem 4GB of ram and i can easily leave apps open, forget they are even there lol!

    There will probably be a new batch of laptops in the march/april timeslot, latest june kinda time. so if your gonna get a new laptop sometime between now and january would be your best bet, else you may as well just wait the extra coupla months lol.

    I doubt your gonna be able to use the iMac as an extra display, you can kinda botch it, with screen sharing. But there isnt an external video input- i think your thinking of the cinema display :)

    Some food for thought

  4. Hellhammer Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dec 10, 2008
    You need ScreenRecycler if you want to use your iMac's screen as secondary screen in MBP.

    If you can wait, wait, it's worth it but I doubt there will be something significantly faster than MBP above
  5. b1u3b0y thread starter Guest

    Mar 24, 2008
    Thanks for all the answers! I think I'm set on the 15" just because it's a smaller size and I'll purchase a purchase a larger display if need be. But i figure I'll still have my 20" desktop to do any detailed work! Thanks again :)
  6. vaderhater245 macrumors 6502

    Mar 4, 2008
    Flagstaff, AZ
    On a side note, Dell has switched most of it laptops to the new Nehalem chipset, including Alienware. Apple can't be far behind if this is the case, especially going into the holiday season without it...
  7. skrilla macrumors newbie

    Jan 19, 2009
    this. and i recently purchased a MBP so an update is sure to follow, i have terrible luck with these things ;)

Share This Page