Should i wait till college to get a macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cakesmugler09, Jun 5, 2009.

  1. cakesmugler09 macrumors newbie

    Jun 5, 2009
    This next school year will be my senior year in highschool. Should i buy a macbook this summer? Or should i settle for the mac mini for now to get through this school year then get the macbook when i go to college next summer? I want a computer to record my music and i want someting decent a virus free. Would i be missing any major updates if i buy the macbook within the next few months? Any help is apreciated.

    P.S. i will have financial aid from my parents if i wait till next year to get the macbook.
  2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6


    Aug 17, 2007
    I would wait. We did this for our daughter who just graduated high school. We will get her one in July. This way, it should last her through 4 years of college.
  3. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

    Aug 27, 2008
    I would say wait 1 year you will get a much better computer.
  4. statik13 macrumors regular


    Jun 6, 2008
    Definitely wait. If you bought it today the laptop would be 16 months old by the time you started. Plus this way you can wait to see if your college recommends any specs / purchase with educational discount.
  5. czarny macrumors newbie

    Feb 5, 2008
    One thing to keep in mind is that no matter how long you wait, a year after you buy a computer there will be a newer model with better this, that and the other thing, not to mention the possibility it could be offered at a lower price point.

    If you really, really want one now, get it now. You mentioned that your parents would aid you in a year if you wait. Maybe instead of them chipping in to help pay for the computer, you can convince them to give you that cash to buy programs. You can get programs for crazy discounts as a college student (unless you go to Ohio State like I do and their discounts on most things is weak, but there are deals all over the web to be had).

    It all comes down to how bad you want the computer. No matter what you do, though, make sure you wait and see if there will be any updates over the summer before you make your decision, especially if you decide to buy one this year and not next year.
  6. Burning Radio macrumors regular

    Apr 11, 2009

    I wanted my macbook since Tiger came out, but I've just decided to wait for College.....which is coming in the fall. So that can only mean one thing......MACBOOK! (and it's light years better than those Macbooks were in 2006.)
  7. fpar macrumors regular

    Feb 11, 2008
    I would buy now considering that you wouldn't need to get the mini. However if your going to get a mini anyway then wait. The macbook should last you till the end of uni but you will probably replace it while you can get student discount.
  8. Burning Radio macrumors regular

    Apr 11, 2009
    That's one thing that I will never understand. How can the university with the largest student body in the country not give out better discounts. You'd think they would have more buying power than other Public Universities. Oh well, I forgive them. GO BUCKS! :D

    Yeah. Private Colleges have A LOT of extra cash to pass on those savings to students....which in all honesty the students are paying for the discount in their 30K tuition.

Share This Page