Should I wait till June??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ralex, Mar 31, 2008.

1. ralex macrumors newbie

Can anyone let me know their opinion regarding the macBook upgrading in June? Is it worth the wait? I am hoping for LED screen and possibly WiMax capability. Anyone want to take a crack at what might come out? I am getting too anxious and want to know if I should wait. This will be my first Mac. I am liiking at the Blk. MacBook.:confused:

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Considering the MacBooks were just updated, I'd say a June update is pretty unlikely. And I wouldn't hold my breath for WiMax if I were you.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I second that.

4. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Mac books are often updated for the start of the school year. A refresh around late august/ early September is more likely than June. We might see multitouch gestures next time round and some speed increases but not much more.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I concur. I bought the MB 2.16GHz 120GB in August '07, thinking that would be the latest and greatest for the Fall '07 semester. When Spring '08 semester rolled around I was able to get my hands on the BlackBook 2.4GHz Penryn. It's a tough call, but either way you're looking at an awesome MB! :cool:

6. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

No, laptops are typically updated AFTER the "back-to-school" rush, which is convenient for clearing out stock. iPods tend to get updated after that off to college buying season as well.

7. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I'm in the exact same position as you. First mac also and am eyeing the blackbook. I probably will end up waiting until the next update even though I would love to join the mac community now. I know technology will alwasy be advancing but I know I would be pretty mad if I bought my first mac and they updated it in 2 months. Good thing I don't have enough money to buy one yet! Good luck

8. ralex thread starter macrumors newbie

i will wait

I guess i rather wait and suffer a little now and not when i miss out on a possible update in June. I will buy in june. It seems as though buying the latest mac is like hitting a moving target. I almost want to wait till September but NO WAY! June it is. Good Luck to you and all!

9. Pacer69 macrumors member

Expect a MB refresh in Oct-Nov. I'd be shocked and amazed at anything before that.

10. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

11. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

If you're expecting an update in June you'll be waiting a while. There are zero signs of any sort of update in two months. Plus, all laptops were JUST updated...you're not going to get updated laptops every four months. If you want a MacBook get one, else you may as well wait forever because machines are ALWAYS being updated so you'll NEVER have the "latest and greatest".

12. jnash macrumors regular

I was a big person on waiting...now I suggest DONT WAIT apple always let me down and I just missed out on having a great machine, most case it will be a minor speed boost go get your new mac and enjoy it!

13. jcandrada macrumors member

Wasn't the macbook updated in November 2007 and also 3 months later in February 2008? So, an update in June/July/August (4/5/6 months later) wouldn't surprise me...

14. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

Yes, all except the very real fact that Intel will begin phasing out the current chips once the new ones come out in June. Face facts folks, Apple is now running on Intel's clock. Like it or not Intel now controls Apple's game.

15. jcandrada macrumors member

second that!

16. Holmes89 macrumors regular

Holmes89

Well I wonder if they are going to do something with the Back to school thing. Instead of the time between products look when they are released. For the past couple years they have been released in May or April. Do you think it will change? I hope not, it seems like they will release as a start to the back to school campaign. (I mean its not like they haven't done minor updates in three months before :p)

17. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

I wouldn't wait until June if you need or want one now.

I am a first time mac user myself since this month.

I didn't need a new PC/notebook back in November. Then I went on some trips and I did miss a notebook for on the road.
    I think I could not have waited until June, so it was perfect for me that they released new ones in February. I got me one a week after it's release (when I got back from my journey), and I didn't regret it so far. The Macbook really is a great machine!

I don't think there will be much more than minor updates the next time. LED would be nice of course, but I wouldn't wait just for that.

18. ralex thread starter macrumors newbie

well i really don't need one right away. I have a deskyop at work and an older laptop and desktop at home, all PC - sucks! If they just give the MacBook the LED, keyboard, and multi-touch pad, it will be worth the wait. Also, the chip and processor is supposed to be updated soon from what I hear. We can only hope.

19. illidian macrumors 6502

Expecting LED, the backlit keyboard, and multi-touch is too much. Expect one, hope for two.

20. eddy64 macrumors regular

IMHO I predict an update for the Macbooks in Late July/August. LED backlit screens are long overdue, and Montevina is released in June. I expect:

LED Screens
    Montevina upgrade
    Lighter and thinner notebook
    (Not drastically but a little lighter seeing as there isn't much difference between a macbook and a macbook pro in weight, yet not as light as the MBA. Maybe 4.5 lbs)
    Multi-touch

If you're a student, then I would definitely recommend waiting unless you really need it now.

21. illidian macrumors 6502

I'm not sure this is going to happen. Montevina will give Apple the capability to do so, but a case redesign is a big deal (and the MBP needs one more than the MB). I'm not sure if Apple will slim down the MacBook without doing a complete overhaul.

I definitely agree with this. There's no reason to buy new at this time if you're a student. The benefits of waiting until summer are huge.

22. DJJONES macrumors 6502

i really think that apple wont update anything in june. i think they have iphone and imac and imac mini buisness to deal with first.

i also think that even if the montevina rolls around and apple does change the chips or what ever i dont think they will redesign the mbp or mb just due to the fact that what evidence is around to support that montevina will be small enough or be so much of a hardware change that it would make apple redesign the case. i could be wrong but its my opinion.

if there a update i think its gonna come in jan 09!!!!! yeaaaaaa!. the same year i will be getting a mac pro just cuz i want to wait till then really!.

just get a macbook pro i mean i was once thinking about weather or not i should get one but i got one and im happy:cool:

23. kovy17 macrumors member

all i really want to see is led screen and backlit keyboard. I dont really care for multitouch if its there thats cool but i dont really care if they do not put it in the next revision

24. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

sure, that would be nice, especially with the MacBook price tag. But then, where would be the difference between the MB and MBP, except bigger screen, graphics card and more ports?

But I still think they but LED into the next revision. But the other two..no. Or not yet in 08.

I wanted to wait for LED because it's power efficient. Then they came out with the multitouch trackpad and I thought "sweet", but I don't really need it. What I need is a small and fast machine like the MB.

But yeah, if you're a student and you can wait, then wait until summer. I almost would have, but I was in need for a new computer now.