Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chelseasian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2004
New York, NY (Chelsea)
Hi guys

I am in the market for an upgrade for my G5 at work and i've got approval to go ahead with the purchase. I am wondering if I should go right ahead now or should I wait till Leopard's Spring release to get a new Mac Pro?

:) Also do you guys think that the new MacBook Pros will get a refresh then with Leopard's release?

Cheers fellas.

timswim78

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2006
Baltimore, MD
Hi guys

I am in the market for an upgrade for my G5 at work and i've got approval to go ahead with the purchase. I am wondering if I should go right ahead now or should I wait till Leopard's Spring release to get a new Mac Pro?

:) Also do you guys think that the new MacBook Pros will get a refresh then with Leopard's release?

Cheers fellas.

If your G5 is working for you, I'd just say wait until Leopard is out. Even if there is no refresh for the Mac Pro, you'll get Leopard and no additional cost. On top of that, it will be one less data migration to do. (I'm assuming that you would want to do a fresh install of Leopard, rather than upgrading from Tiger.)

Retired
May 16, 2006
You'll also get iLife 07....
And if there are 8 core MPs then the quads should get cheaper...

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
If you don't upgrade now will the boss think you don't need an upgrade and retract said approval? :D

If it is for work and you have to upgrade, you upgrade. You shouldn't base these decisions on rumors. If it is for home and you can afford to wait cause you want the latest and greatest...then wait and listen to the rumors :)

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Everyone has been all excited about the 8-core. I really don't see it happening this year, since the MacPros went all quad core right after the PPCs. Go ahead and buy the thing. :)

jessep28

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
Omaha, NE
Computers are about as bad as cars in terms of depreication.

If buying a new car, we don't wait until the 2008 models come out becuase we are all worried about what might be added compared to the 2007 model. Cars are bought due to necessity. Same goes (or should) for computers.

chelseasian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2004
New York, NY (Chelsea)
Well true. My G5 is serving me well. The only thing in my company is that once any computer is out of warranty- i.e. 2 years, to them it is better to replace it with a new computer than to have it send for servicing if it breaks down etc. I think there is some sort of process where they recycle old computers to other departments or donate or something.

:D I think most major corporations have that kind of arrangement with vendors selling computers to them.

jimytheassassin

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I think if you have approval there's nothing to fear about leopard. Apple's not saying, but spring is here until june 21st which means they can wait that long. From what I've read it's very likely to be announced during WWDC in the middle-end of june. We're all hoping it will be sooner. If you must purchase for warranty, that's one issue. If you're hoping for a boost in performance it depends on what programs you use and if they've been updated for Intel yet. Hardware updates are another shot in the dark.. Apple is just too secretive:apple:

generationxwing

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2005
Calgary
Me and my GF can easily afford an iMac today, but we're waiting until Leopard comes out. We can both live with our crappy PC laptops for another few months, so we may as well wait for the best OS to be available to us at no extra charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.