Should I wait till Leopard's release to get a new Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chelseasian, Jan 19, 2007.

  1. chelseasian macrumors regular


    Oct 20, 2004
    New York, NY (Chelsea)
    Hi guys

    I am in the market for an upgrade for my G5 at work and i've got approval to go ahead with the purchase. I am wondering if I should go right ahead now or should I wait till Leopard's Spring release to get a new Mac Pro?

    :) Also do you guys think that the new MacBook Pros will get a refresh then with Leopard's release?

    Cheers fellas.
  2. timswim78 macrumors 6502a


    Feb 8, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    If your G5 is working for you, I'd just say wait until Leopard is out. Even if there is no refresh for the Mac Pro, you'll get Leopard and no additional cost. On top of that, it will be one less data migration to do. (I'm assuming that you would want to do a fresh install of Leopard, rather than upgrading from Tiger.)
  3. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

    Aug 10, 2006
    i mean if you absolutely need it now go for it, but otherwise it won't hurt to wait
  4. psychofreak Retired


    May 16, 2006
    You'll also get iLife 07....
    And if there are 8 core MPs then the quads should get cheaper...
  5. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000


    Apr 12, 2005
    Looking at your G5's I don't see a reason not to wait, really. Cheers! ;)
  6. psingh01 macrumors 65816

    Apr 19, 2004
    If you don't upgrade now will the boss think you don't need an upgrade and retract said approval? :D

    If it is for work and you have to upgrade, you upgrade. You shouldn't base these decisions on rumors. If it is for home and you can afford to wait cause you want the latest and greatest...then wait and listen to the rumors :)
  7. Umbongo macrumors 601


    Sep 14, 2006
    There is no indication of this being true, 8 cores haven't altered prices of other vendors.
  8. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000


    May 31, 2006
    London Town
    But Apple usually stick to a strict price structure. But the Mac Pro is probably different to the consumer machines as it is entirely configurable.
  9. leekohler macrumors G5


    Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Everyone has been all excited about the 8-core. I really don't see it happening this year, since the MacPros went all quad core right after the PPCs. Go ahead and buy the thing. :)
  10. jessep28 macrumors 6502


    Sep 8, 2006
    Omaha, NE
    Computers are about as bad as cars in terms of depreication.

    If buying a new car, we don't wait until the 2008 models come out becuase we are all worried about what might be added compared to the 2007 model. Cars are bought due to necessity. Same goes (or should) for computers.
  11. chelseasian thread starter macrumors regular


    Oct 20, 2004
    New York, NY (Chelsea)
    Well true. My G5 is serving me well. The only thing in my company is that once any computer is out of warranty- i.e. 2 years, to them it is better to replace it with a new computer than to have it send for servicing if it breaks down etc. I think there is some sort of process where they recycle old computers to other departments or donate or something.

    :D I think most major corporations have that kind of arrangement with vendors selling computers to them.
  12. jimytheassassin macrumors member

    Jan 22, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    I think if you have approval there's nothing to fear about leopard. Apple's not saying, but spring is here until june 21st which means they can wait that long. From what I've read it's very likely to be announced during WWDC in the middle-end of june. We're all hoping it will be sooner. If you must purchase for warranty, that's one issue. If you're hoping for a boost in performance it depends on what programs you use and if they've been updated for Intel yet. Hardware updates are another shot in the dark.. Apple is just too secretive:apple:
  13. generationxwing macrumors 6502


    Feb 10, 2005
    Me and my GF can easily afford an iMac today, but we're waiting until Leopard comes out. We can both live with our crappy PC laptops for another few months, so we may as well wait for the best OS to be available to us at no extra charge.
  14. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a


    Nov 12, 2006
    yet another 'should i wait for _____ release" thread, woot!

Share This Page