Should I wait to buy a 17-inch MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by latempete, Dec 2, 2008.

1. latempete macrumors member

I want to buy a 17-inch MBP but I am wondering if I should wait until the new one comes out. One with the updated RAM, frontside bus and video card. I am set on the 17-inch because I want the high resolution screen. I am not a gamer but I am a big Photoshop user. That said I don't know if I need the upgraded video card. The RAM and frontside bus would be nice. The other thing is price. With the discount and rebate the 17-inch MBP is about $2,500 on Amazon.

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Wait, the specs will be better for probably the same price.

3. toxic macrumors 68000

waiting is probably better, if you don't like the new one the old one will drop in price anyway.

4. latempete thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Do you think the new one will be out soon?

5. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I say the new 17" model will be out by Macworld '09.

6. nyguy4u macrumors member

When is Macworld 09'?

I too have been told to wait. I'm ready to buy ASAP, so I hope it happens soon. I've also heard the rumor of it including Blu-Ray - has anyone else heard that as well?

7. akm3 macrumors 68020

Yes, you should absolutely wait. Until at least mid-January.

Or, just get a 15 and an external monitor.

8. svndmvn Guest

Macworld is in January, for whoever can wait I say wait.
    If the new ones will be glossy only, you'll be able to buy a matte refurb for less, if they don't get updated in January I say buy it because you'd then have to wait other 4 months, I believe.
    If Apple is not selling many 15" Macbook Pros I suspect they could be doing something about it and offering a matte option for both Pros for the next update. I doubt anything will be done about the Firewire. If one really needs it he has two options, a cheaper and a more expensive one anyway.

9. descartes macrumors 6502

definitely wait until january. 17" will likely be updated and you can either grab the new one or the old one for much less.

10. psingh01 macrumors 65816

if you don't like the glossy screen then you probably shouldn't wait...

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I would wait. If they update the 17"'s to unibody and glossy, you can buy a current one at a discount. They've already got the 17" refurbs starting at $1799 at the apple site, they're bound to come down if they come out with a new model.

Or, you could then keep an eye on craigslist and try to find someone dumping their old 17" to buy a new one.