Should I wait to buy a 17-inch MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by latempete, Dec 2, 2008.

  1. latempete macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2008
    Location:
    Pennsylvania
    #1
    I want to buy a 17-inch MBP but I am wondering if I should wait until the new one comes out. One with the updated RAM, frontside bus and video card. I am set on the 17-inch because I want the high resolution screen. I am not a gamer but I am a big Photoshop user. That said I don't know if I need the upgraded video card. The RAM and frontside bus would be nice. The other thing is price. With the discount and rebate the 17-inch MBP is about $2,500 on Amazon.
     
  2. Schtumple macrumors 601

    Schtumple

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2007
    Location:
    benkadams.com
    #2
    Wait, the specs will be better for probably the same price.
     
  3. toxic macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2008
    #3
    waiting is probably better, if you don't like the new one the old one will drop in price anyway.
     
  4. latempete thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2008
    Location:
    Pennsylvania
    #4
    Thanks. Do you think the new one will be out soon?
     
  5. Mjmar macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 20, 2008
    #5
    I say the new 17" model will be out by Macworld '09.
     
  6. nyguy4u macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2008
    #6
    When is Macworld 09'?

    I too have been told to wait. I'm ready to buy ASAP, so I hope it happens soon. I've also heard the rumor of it including Blu-Ray - has anyone else heard that as well?
     
  7. akm3 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2007
    #7
    Yes, you should absolutely wait. Until at least mid-January.

    Or, just get a 15 and an external monitor.
     
  8. svndmvn Guest

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2007
    Location:
    Italy
    #8
    Macworld is in January, for whoever can wait I say wait.
    If the new ones will be glossy only, you'll be able to buy a matte refurb for less, if they don't get updated in January I say buy it because you'd then have to wait other 4 months, I believe.
    If Apple is not selling many 15" Macbook Pros I suspect they could be doing something about it and offering a matte option for both Pros for the next update. I doubt anything will be done about the Firewire. If one really needs it he has two options, a cheaper and a more expensive one anyway.
     
  9. descartes macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2006
    #9
    definitely wait until january. 17" will likely be updated and you can either grab the new one or the old one for much less.
     
  10. psingh01 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2004
    #10
    if you don't like the glossy screen then you probably shouldn't wait...
     
  11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #11
    I would wait. If they update the 17"'s to unibody and glossy, you can buy a current one at a discount. They've already got the 17" refurbs starting at $1799 at the apple site, they're bound to come down if they come out with a new model.

    Or, you could then keep an eye on craigslist and try to find someone dumping their old 17" to buy a new one.
     

Share This Page