Should I Wait To Buy A Cinema Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chrismasterson, Apr 28, 2011.

  1. chrismasterson macrumors newbie

    Apr 28, 2011
    I'm a graphic designer and I have a great need for a beautiful, fully featured display. I read on the Buying Buide that it's approaching the end of a cycle, but I'm not really sure what's behind that. Would anyone care to shed some light on the reasons for waiting to buy one? Any rumors I should know about?

  2. Coolestdude macrumors member

    Mar 22, 2011
    Reasons why I'm waiting. Note these haven't been confirmed, but I'm thinking

    With Thunderbolt connectivity they might:
    Add a FW 400 and 800 port
    Add USB 3.0 Ports
    Add ethernet
    Get rid of the USB connecting cable since it could go over Thunderbolt.

    In other words, make the ACD almost into a dock.

    I'm in the market for 2 ACD's when the revision comes out.
  3. Mherm88 macrumors member

    Jun 18, 2010
    Lafayette Hill, PA
    I was kind of thinking the same thing, I think it'll just be USB 2.0 carried over Thunderbolt with the display and audio but it would be great if they pushed through what you had, I'm definitely waiting until at least the iMac refresh comes because maybe it'll come along with that or at least give some indication of the direction they're taking. I love the idea of not have to plug the USB in too, I want to just hook up power and Thunderbolt to use the ACD with my MBP. I think it'll end up coming sooner than later, gotta get some Thunderbolt products on the market.
  4. amarcus macrumors 6502

    Feb 26, 2008
    London, UK
    I'm doubtful there will be an update to the 27inch cinema display for sometime:

    1) If history is any judge, this line always get infrequent updates and the last one was fairly recent (Buyer's guide can be misleading as "updates" were really price-drops/dropping of models).
    2) Thunderbolt (TB) fully supports the current cinema display as it can be used at the end of the daisy chain.
    3) Only the MacBook pro's support TB and I'd imagine that the cinema displays will get it last i.e. expect updates to the Mac Pro, iMac, Mac Mini first.
    4) Rumours suggest that Apple might intend on giving us a "retina" cinema display. It's just too soon for such a display! I'd imagine sometime next year... The cinema display just doesn't get updates this frequently i.e. one now, one next year.

    With that said, I'd love to be proved wrong and Apple to update it!


Share This Page