Should I wait to buy an iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by acuriouslad, Sep 28, 2008.

  1. acuriouslad macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2008
    Location:
    Australia
    #1
    I have heard that the Macbook Pros are going to get Quad Core, if so will the iMac also receive them at the same time? When do you think Quad core will come out on an iMac, and if a while from now do you predict that I would be able to update a current iMac to the new Quad Core chips???:confused:

    Please give me some advice, I would like quad core, but if I have to wait a long time is it going to be worth it?
     
  2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #2
    Quad-core in the iMacs?

    No sooner than Nehalem in Q3 2009. Meaning a year from now.
     
  3. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

    carlosbutler

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2008
    Location:
    London City
    #3
    well you are probably going to have to wait a long time. the same applies if you are going to want ot have blu-ray, although if they do release new imacs they might include it. its more likly that they may just have different specs, ie higher standard specs/cheaper prices ro whatever
     
  4. iChrisG macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2008
    Location:
    Sunny California
    #4
    There is going to be a Keynote in 15 days (rumored) so I would have to say just wait and see.

    There is also a possibility of the prices being lowered!

    Happy Shopping!

    -Chris
     
  5. krimz macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2008
    #5
    I'm also thinking of buying an iMac. Have there been any substantiated rumors reported that indicates that this keynote will include announcements re an iMac spec upgrade and a possible price cut? From what I've read the 14th seems to be mainly about the introduction of a new MacBook... :confused:
     
  6. madfresh macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2006
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    #6
    It depends what is the shape of your current computer. If you need the speed now, I'd upgrade whenever (unless a release is clearly imminent). If you think you can squeeze another year out of your current computer, i'd wait that long. Don't rush it.
     
  7. dual64bit macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2004
    #7
    If you need a computer, buy it. I use a G4 tower everyday and it's great, all I need. No sense waiting to get a little bit more speed or power, will you actually notice it?
     
  8. iChrisG macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2008
    Location:
    Sunny California
    #8
    I would say, just wait. You never know what Steve will do, now can you? :)
     
  9. RRW71 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    #9
    I'm waiting to see if the 20" will have a VESA mount and a Blueray option, maybe bigger/cheaper hard drive option. Speed and power isn't a driving factor.
     
  10. acuriouslad thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2008
    Location:
    Australia
    #10
    Thanks for all your comments I realy appreciate it.;) Does anyone know if a nvida graphics card will be implemented into a 20" iMac anytime soon, I would like to play crisis and I heard that it would work much better on that card in the 24" but it is a bit big for where I am going to use it and want to get it in the 20". Think it be in the near future?:confused:
     

Share This Page