Should I wait to buy iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iUseMacBooks, Jun 7, 2015.

  1. iUseMacBooks macrumors member

    Jun 2, 2015
    Hi everyone,

    I have an iPhone 5, and I decided not to get an iPhone 6 in 2014 because my 5 was still working well.

    Now, it's not working so well. The phone has really slowed down, and I only get a few hours of battery life out of it. But, it's still usable.

    I was going to get an iPhone 6 sometime this month (64 GB Space Gray) but, would it be better to wait?

    When Apple releases the 6S as their flagship phone for 2015, there will be a price drop on the 6, right?

    Do you guys think it's a good idea to wait, or should I just spend ~ $300 now?
  2. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816


    Aug 24, 2013
    Price drop on the 6 is sure to drop in September... The question is can you wait four months?

    When the 6s comes out the 6 will still be good... It's not like it's becoming bad overnight
  3. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816


    Sep 12, 2011
    Yes. Apple will announce the next generation iPhone in Sept. The iPhone 6 will drop by $100 and so will the 6 Plus.
  4. barkomatic macrumors 601

    Aug 8, 2008
    I'd wait if possible. Rumors are that the next iPhone will be a significant improvement over the current model--though will retain the same design.
  5. iUseMacBooks thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 2, 2015
    Thanks for the responses. I could probably wait. I've found myself using my iPad Mini a lot more since my phone has slowed down. It'd be nice to have the phone soon, but I may wait and save a little money since the price is sure to drop.
  6. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

    Andres Cantu

    May 31, 2015
    Rio Grande Valley in South Texas
    Yes, you should definitely wait. The iPhone 6s should be released in less than four months, maybe even in just three months. It's good that you have another device in the meantime!
  7. MsRandall macrumors 65816


    Nov 27, 2011
    Bay Area, Ca

    BB is offering $200 guaranteed trade in with a purchase of an iPhone 6/6+

    When you buy the 6s months later the rumors and speculations will be on the i7
  8. cdm283813 macrumors 6502

    Jan 10, 2015
    Depending on your carrier and how you pay for phones it makes more sense just to wait for the iPhone 6S at this point. Because I'm on Verizon the difference between a $549 phone over a $649 phone is only $4.13 more a month spread over 24 months on Edge. If I was going to get a 128GB iPhone 6S in September for $849 the monthly cost is $35.38; a premium of only $12.51 when compared to a year old 16GB iPhone 6.
    So how many people here would not pay the extra $12.51 a month to not only have a brand new model but to increase their storage by a factor of 8x? The only way I would get an older phone is if I did not quality for these new carrier plans. And if that were the case I would buy a used phone in excellent condition before I buy new one or wait and buy the iPhone 6S in September out right. By the time September hits a iPhone 6 16GB will only be worth $300 to $400; so if you buy new now in about 3 months you will lose $300 plus. Heck; you already lose about $200 if you get a iPhone 6 today on contract.
    Be patient and wait. Those zero interest carrier plans are pretty good if your new phone is within a month or 2 of it's life. It would be foolish to lock yourself in a contract for full price on a phone that old. And compare those deals that give you credit when trading in your phone for $200 credit. If you have a iPhone 5 or 5S in decent condition you should be able to get that when the 6S comes out. When the iPhone 6 came out many carriers where doing that same plan.
  9. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020


    Jun 7, 2008
    I'd be reluctant to pay full retail for a 6 at this point unless your current phone was about to give out.

    I definitely wouldn't get one on a contract lasting more than 18 months.

    That's just me though- I'm the kind of person who wants to maximise the amount of time a phone stays current. After a few software updates iPhones turn to crap. A potential 6S in September will probably cost the same as an unlocked 6 does now, but buying it then means getting a full 24-36 months out of it before software updates make it obsolete or at the very least frustrating to use.
  10. iUseMacBooks thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 2, 2015
    Hey everyone,

    Just an update on my thought process: After careful consideration, I think I'll wait until Sept. But get an iPhone 6S instead of 6. I've talked to some people & also read helpful responses here and I think it's a good idea.

    There are a couple reasons that this is the route I'd like to go. First, I've never had an "S" iPhone. (Had the 4, then skipped the 4S and got the 5, which is what I'm still using.) I think it'd be nice to switch it up.

    Also, I've never experienced getting an iPhone at (or near) launch. I always wait until months after, and it seems much more exciting to get the new phone when it launches.

    I'm not sure what the 6S will have as far as upgrades, but I'm excited. If it's available, I plan on getting a 64 GB 6S in Space Gray. Thanks for the help everyone.
  11. JoePa2624 macrumors regular


    Oct 12, 2014
    I would say wait for the 6S/7 as well, but keep one thing in mind. Unless you plan on pre-ordering at midnight, there's a chance you're waiting 5+ months to get the new phone. If you have no interest in buying the 6S, then just buy the 6 now. It's a drastic improvement over the 5, and well worth the money to have it now.
  12. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

    Andres Cantu

    May 31, 2015
    Rio Grande Valley in South Texas
    I forgot to ask if you bought your iPhone 5 on contract or paid for it in full. I'm assuming you bought it on contract since you mentioned paying around $300 for the 64GB iPhone 6. Unless your phone bill went down after the contract expired, then technically you will overpay for the iPhone 5 (since carriers subsidize the cost of the iPhone and include the difference in your phone bill) for however long you wait to get the 6s. So, if possible, get the iPhone 6s as soon as you can so you don't overpay.
  13. iUseMacBooks thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 2, 2015
    Oh yeah, it's on contract. I should've mentioned that.
  14. mhdena macrumors 6502

    Sep 16, 2009
    If you can get $200 for your 5 towards a 6 I would that. Get the 64gb for about $167.
    That was the deal offered by AT&T when the 6 was coming out. You could have did it then, but if you can now do it.
  15. iUseMacBooks thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 2, 2015
    I'm on Verizon, I'm not sure if they offer any deals like that but I could check. Waiting roughly 3+ months longer than I anticipated to get a new iPhone will be hard but I'm excited to see what Apple will do with their 2015 flagship phone (presumably a 6S) and then I'll probably get it around launch. It'll be more money than the deal you mentioned, but I'm hoping it's worth it. It'll be my first new iPhone in 3 years :D

Share This Page

14 June 7, 2015