Should I wait to get a 6G?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Viking Quest, Jun 28, 2006.

  1. Viking Quest macrumors member

    Jun 28, 2006
    So I'm thinking about buying a 5G ipod within the next week or so... Good idea? Bad Idea?

    By 3G battery only lasts about an hour right now. So I do need a new one soon. Should I wait?
  2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus


    Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    If you don't need something now it never usually hurts to wait.
  3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601


    Aug 9, 2002
    Rumor has it new iPods aren't far away, but today Apple's stock dropped 2.5% when an analyst said that he thought new iPods could be delayed until the first half of 2007. If you are willing to wait, it won't hurt, but you may want to buy now.
  4. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a


    Jun 7, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    If you really want to wait for the next big upgrade for iPods, then I would suggest investing in a new battery for your 3G.
  5. Piarco macrumors 68030


    Jun 24, 2004
    According to "analysts" if may be December until the new iPods arrive. Like Tanglewood says, get a new battery and stick it out. You're also increasing your 3G's resale-ability!
  6. Viking Quest thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 28, 2006
    January? That would be horrible to wait that long
  7. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

    Feb 20, 2005
    Good point. You can get replacement batteries at CompUSA for not too expensive.
  8. billchase2 macrumors 68000


    Feb 28, 2006
    Ann Arbor
  9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6


    Jun 4, 2003
    The iPod is long overdue for an update. Even if it's just a minor update (price drop and/or capacity increase) to tide us over until a major update in the fall (full screen video iPod) I think it would be worth waiting for. Depends on your urgency though.
  10. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

    Jun 30, 2005
    Just buy. You can't wait forever. And if the 6G comes out soon, your 5G won't be any worse or anything like that. You'll love it. I love mine. :D
  11. luckylisp macrumors 6502

    Feb 2, 2006
    NY state
    If you have a working iPod, I'd personally wait then. As others suggested you could just get a new battery for your 3G and then wait it out and see what you think of the 6G when it comes out.
  12. Viking Quest thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 28, 2006
    Id definitely like to see a Price Drop and Battery Update sometime soon. Apple usually never makes us wait this long. Something must have gone awry in the development stages.
  13. thechris69 macrumors 6502


    Nov 11, 2005
    is the 6g the one rumored to have touch screen?
  14. Selax77 macrumors member

    Jun 21, 2006
    who do you trust more the analyst or the guy who makes the apple ipods? The guy who makes them also could be lying just to keep peoples interest in ipods.
  15. thewalfredo macrumors newbie

    Jun 29, 2006

    Get a new battery. Now. you'll thank me.

    get the largest capacity you can find. I forget the specs of the one I found, but I searched extra long and found the highest capacity I could. I ordered it from the netherlands.

    my orig battery for my 3G 40gig pod lasted 3 hours.

    New battery lasts 14 hours. I have a brand new ipod, at least it feels that way. all of this for only $40.
  16. Viking Quest thread starter macrumors member

    Jun 28, 2006
    Well I have a 40 Gig, and I have like 41 Gigs of music. Once my collection gets bigger I will need a bigger iPod. I need an 80 gig to come out.

Share This Page