Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Hello Guys,

I'm decided to get a new 27" iMac but I don't know if is a good idea to wait for Mountain Lion. What should I do?.... wait or get it now and upgrade to Mountain Lion when it comes out?...

Thanks

JTyler82

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
you should have waited. WWDC is June 11th, and a new iMac will be released then, Probably.

Return while you can.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Right now Lion should be far more stable than Mountain Lion on day 1, simply because it's been out for a while. If you're going to wait for the new OS, you should wait a bit longer than that so that it's at least equally usable. They all have things that don't work or applications that aren't fully updated when they debut. It was the same for Snow Leopard, Leopard, Tiger, etc. Snow Leopard fixed a lot of things from Leopard, but there was still a period of time waiting for applications (especially third party) to be updated and initial bug fixes. Lion has been unpopular, but that doesn't mean day one of Mountain Lion will be an improvement over the current version of Lion.

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
Hello Guys,

I'm decided to get a new 27" iMac but I don't know if is a good idea to wait for Mountain Lion. What should I do?.... wait or get it now and upgrade to Mountain Lion when it comes out?...

Thanks

stop shoulding all over yourself and do what you whatever you want....

Stolz25

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
Right now Lion should be far more stable than Mountain Lion on day 1, simply because it's been out for a while.

Normally, I'd agree. But ML is the only reason I am getting a mac. The ability to stream anything from the computer to the ATV is something that should have been done a long time ago.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Hello Guys,

Thanks

ML is a terrible reason to wait.. because it will run on whatever you buy, and from history should be a $30 upgrade. If you want to buy my used 2007 model right now, it will run ML when it comes out.

The reason to wait is that you don't want to spend 2012 $ on 2011 specs, and a 2012 model will appear as soon as we all stop watching the pot trying to make it boil. Of course, if the specs are unimportant to you and/or you need something now, then don't wait.

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
the Imacs are set for a new model anytime now...i did here a rumour that we are getting a shape change? I would wait. But the top spec current gens are great machines...maybe try to snipe a refurb model.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Do you really like the iMac you've been looking at now? it won't be any less of a computer system regardless of whatever comes out down the road be it sooner or later and nobody actually knows when new models will come out.

I just bought mine last night and I am completely happy and at peace with the decision. It is a fantastic computer and will last me a long time. It will also run Mountain Lion just fine whenever that releases. As others have mentioned, it would be wise to not rush into a new operating system release. I always prefer to let the pioneers take the arrows and later on when it is stable, then I upgrade. It take this view with any software pretty much.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Given the rumors are for improved displays on the new iMacs, I would wait for the June announcement and see. It is only a month or so away and if you can wait, I'd wait.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Is it something wrong with asking for advice??
Yeah right... it's so annoying when people do that.

Normally, I'd agree. But ML is the only reason I am getting a mac. The ability to stream anything from the computer to the ATV is something that should have been done a long time ago.

ML is a terrible reason to wait.. because it will run on whatever you buy, and from history should be a $30 upgrade. If you want to buy my used 2007 model right now, it will run ML when it comes out.

The reason to wait is that you don't want to spend 2012 $ on 2011 specs, and a 2012 model will appear as soon as we all stop watching the pot trying to make it boil. Of course, if the specs are unimportant to you and/or you need something now, then don't wait.

the Imacs are set for a new model anytime now...i did here a rumour that we are getting a shape change? I would wait. But the top spec current gens are great machines...maybe try to snipe a refurb model.

Do you really like the iMac you've been looking at now? it won't be any less of a computer system regardless of whatever comes out down the road be it sooner or later and nobody actually knows when new models will come out.

I just bought mine last night and I am completely happy and at peace with the decision. It is a fantastic computer and will last me a long time. It will also run Mountain Lion just fine whenever that releases. As others have mentioned, it would be wise to not rush into a new operating system release. I always prefer to let the pioneers take the arrows and later on when it is stable, then I upgrade. It take this view with any software pretty much.

Given the rumors are for improved displays on the new iMacs, I would wait for the June announcement and see. It is only a month or so away and if you can wait, I'd wait.

Thanks to all for your comments... it helps a lot.. ;)

LostSisler

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2009
I think you should wait a bit longer.
I get the impression from Apple that the next update is going to be better than most people think. A complete redesign and a completely new way to compute.
Everyone will be amazed.

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
I think you should wait a bit longer.
I get the impression from Apple that the next update is going to be better than most people think. A complete redesign and a completely new way to compute.
Everyone will be amazed.

Good call. They don't sit on their current hardware for this long just to give us a spec bump upgrade. I am looking forward, with hopeful eyes, to something great and new. Redesigns would fit the bill.

lifeguard90

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Chicago
Good call. They don't sit on their current hardware for this long just to give us a spec bump upgrade. I am looking forward, with hopeful eyes, to something great and new. Redesigns would fit the bill.

Maybe thinner but different full design doubt it. They like their current one. So do i, Anti glare glass would be nice. NO MATTE. Also dont use retina if you put a 7970m in there and not a desktop gpu

Last, release them already damnit

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Maybe thinner but different full design doubt it. They like their current one. So do i, Anti glare glass would be nice. NO MATTE. Also dont use retina if you put a 7970m in there and not a desktop gpu

Last, release them already damnit

Definitely agree about matte. I have no idea why anyone would want that. Looks hideous.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
I'm holding out until the next update. Can't wait. It's been almost 3 years since I've gotten a new one and I'm dying for a Quad-Core since I only settled for a Dual-Core last time with a 27".

jji7skyline

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2011
Buy it just after the release, but before Mountain Lion stocks are in local Apple Stores. Then you can claim your free copy of Mountain Lion as well as have your original Lion system :)

Edit: That's what I did, and I have Lion as well as Snow Leopard :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.