Should I wait to get a new iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sdahe, May 22, 2012.

  1. Sdahe macrumors 68000

    Sdahe

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2007
    Location:
    San Juan, PR
    #1
    Hello Guys,

    I'm decided to get a new 27" iMac but I don't know if is a good idea to wait for Mountain Lion. What should I do?.... wait or get it now and upgrade to Mountain Lion when it comes out?...

    Thanks
     
  2. JTyler82 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2011
    #2
    you should have waited. WWDC is June 11th, and a new iMac will be released then, Probably.

    Return while you can.
     
  3. thekev macrumors 604

    thekev

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2010
    #3
    Right now Lion should be far more stable than Mountain Lion on day 1, simply because it's been out for a while. If you're going to wait for the new OS, you should wait a bit longer than that so that it's at least equally usable. They all have things that don't work or applications that aren't fully updated when they debut. It was the same for Snow Leopard, Leopard, Tiger, etc. Snow Leopard fixed a lot of things from Leopard, but there was still a period of time waiting for applications (especially third party) to be updated and initial bug fixes. Lion has been unpopular, but that doesn't mean day one of Mountain Lion will be an improvement over the current version of Lion.
     
  4. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2011
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #4
    stop shoulding all over yourself and do what you whatever you want....
     
  5. bpran macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2010
    #5
    +1
     
  6. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

    Sdahe

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2007
    Location:
    San Juan, PR
    #6
    Yeah... it doesn't hurt anyone to ask before I do what ever I want to do. Thanks anyway. ;)
     
  7. Crazy82 macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2012
    Location:
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #7
    Is it something wrong with asking for advice??
     
  8. Stolz25 macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 14, 2012
    #8
    Normally, I'd agree. But ML is the only reason I am getting a mac. The ability to stream anything from the computer to the ATV is something that should have been done a long time ago.
     
  9. forty2j macrumors 68030

    forty2j

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Location:
    NJ
    #9
    ML is a terrible reason to wait.. because it will run on whatever you buy, and from history should be a $30 upgrade. If you want to buy my used 2007 model right now, it will run ML when it comes out.

    The reason to wait is that you don't want to spend 2012 $ on 2011 specs, and a 2012 model will appear as soon as we all stop watching the pot trying to make it boil. Of course, if the specs are unimportant to you and/or you need something now, then don't wait.
     
  10. R1PPER macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2008
    #10
    the Imacs are set for a new model anytime now...i did here a rumour that we are getting a shape change? I would wait. But the top spec current gens are great machines...maybe try to snipe a refurb model.
     
  11. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

    Dirtyharry50

    Joined:
    May 17, 2012
    #11
    Do you really like the iMac you've been looking at now? it won't be any less of a computer system regardless of whatever comes out down the road be it sooner or later and nobody actually knows when new models will come out.

    I just bought mine last night and I am completely happy and at peace with the decision. It is a fantastic computer and will last me a long time. It will also run Mountain Lion just fine whenever that releases. As others have mentioned, it would be wise to not rush into a new operating system release. I always prefer to let the pioneers take the arrows and later on when it is stable, then I upgrade. It take this view with any software pretty much.
     
  12. TonyK macrumors 6502a

    TonyK

    Joined:
    May 24, 2009
    #12
    Given the rumors are for improved displays on the new iMacs, I would wait for the June announcement and see. It is only a month or so away and if you can wait, I'd wait.
     
  13. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

    Sdahe

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2007
    Location:
    San Juan, PR
    #13
    Yeah right... it's so annoying when people do that.

    Thanks to all for your comments... it helps a lot.. ;)
     
  14. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

    cocky jeremy

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2008
    Location:
    Columbus, OH
    #14
    Don't wait for ML, wait for new Macs. They should be here anytime.
     
  15. LostSisler macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2009
    #15
    I think you should wait a bit longer.
    I get the impression from Apple that the next update is going to be better than most people think. A complete redesign and a completely new way to compute.
    Everyone will be amazed.
     
  16. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2012
    Location:
    Chandler, Arizona
    #16
    Good call. They don't sit on their current hardware for this long just to give us a spec bump upgrade. I am looking forward, with hopeful eyes, to something great and new. Redesigns would fit the bill.
     
  17. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2010
    Location:
    Chicago
    #17
    Maybe thinner but different full design doubt it. They like their current one. So do i, Anti glare glass would be nice. NO MATTE. Also dont use retina if you put a 7970m in there and not a desktop gpu

    Last, release them already damnit
     
  18. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

    cocky jeremy

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2008
    Location:
    Columbus, OH
    #18
    Definitely agree about matte. I have no idea why anyone would want that. Looks hideous.
     
  19. ugp macrumors 65816

    ugp

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2008
    Location:
    Inverness, Florida
    #19
    I'm holding out until the next update. Can't wait. It's been almost 3 years since I've gotten a new one and I'm dying for a Quad-Core since I only settled for a Dual-Core last time with a 27".
     
  20. jji7skyline macrumors 6502

    jji7skyline

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2011
    #20
    Buy it just after the release, but before Mountain Lion stocks are in local Apple Stores. Then you can claim your free copy of Mountain Lion as well as have your original Lion system :)

    Edit: That's what I did, and I have Lion as well as Snow Leopard :cool:
     

Share This Page