Should I wait to replace 17" MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacSporran, Oct 8, 2010.

  1. MacSporran macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2007
    Location:
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    #1
    Hi
    My current ,three year old, 17" MacBook pro is showing signs of failing. Occasionally randomly switches off when using battery showing in excess of 2hrs charge left (battery was replaced 6 months ago, also replaced the hard drive a year ago). Slow performance and spinning ball quite a common occurrence. We have checked it with TECHtools and run all of the repair etc. This shows no signs of issues but machine still does what it does.

    Use it all day every day.

    I see in the buyers guide that the are updated on average every 208 days. We are now at 178 days. I would hate:mad: to spend all that money and find out that its updated within a short period.
    Does anyone think that an update is imminent?

    Thoughts?
     
  2. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

    Adidas Addict

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2008
    Location:
    England
    #2
    General opinion is that if we get an update in the next couple of months it will be a CPU bump to the new i5's and i7. Other than that everything will remain the same until Q1 2011 when the Sandy Bridge platform is released.
     
  3. rkmac macrumors 6502

    rkmac

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2009
    Location:
    JAFA, New Zealand
    #3
    I would say that the next update will probably be in January... but it's all speculation with Apple.
    If you NEED it now, then get it now. If not, wait until the next update and get it then (thats what I would do).
     
  4. robertbrian23 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2010
    #4
    i really hope before christmas there would be a new update i don't know if the SB would be released together with the new macbook pro designs since i doubt it would happen asap.

    by history, does i3, i5 and i7 or older processors were released together with mac designs?
     
  5. mrkramer macrumors 603

    mrkramer

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2006
    Location:
    Somewhere
    #5
    There probably won't be another update this year, so I personally wouldn't wait, but if you are ok with using your computer as it is for a few more month then go ahead and wait.
     
  6. Enduros macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2010
    #6
    I have the same problem. I'd like to get MBP 13" as well but I'm not sure if the update is comming soon or not, I guess it would be helpful to have CPU boost altough I was never a big "performance catcher" .

    Yet, I'm using little netbook from acer and it's driving me crazy so I could really use a update to MBP, but do you think the waiting is worth it?

    I dont have such a big demands on the system, I am one of the regular users -> music, movies, browsing internet, casual gaming, photoshop, and as long I am a student portability and battery life are also one of the important aspects to me.

    That's why I'm keep thinking of just to get one instead of waiting maybe 3 more months (?).

    Thank You for any kind of hints... :)
     
  7. MacSporran thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2007
    Location:
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    #7
    Thanks to all for their input:D

    Still swithering but there's always something new just over the horizon. If I wait for something just about to come I'd never buy anything.
     
  8. fcortese macrumors demi-god

    fcortese

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2010
    Location:
    Big Sky country
    #8
    Nobody is sure when SB will be released, so I doubt Q1 2011 will see a SB model. Sounds like the ol' computer is beginning to give hints that a new one is in order. I would lean towards getting one sooner rather than later.
     
  9. alust2013 macrumors 601

    alust2013

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Location:
    On the fence
    #9
    If you've got a backup (which everyone should), just keep it up to date, and wait until either your machine dies or the sandy bridge models come out
     

Share This Page