Should I wait until Macworld is over or get an Ipod Touch now

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Bkram1, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Bkram1 macrumors newbie

I'm in vietnam and I'm flying back to Australia a day or so before MW. I can get the Ipod Touch for 15% off rrp if I get it at duty free. I need to know if a new Ipod touch will be announced or a price drop. Do you thinkI shuld risk buying one buta new one might be out in a couple of days or should I skip the discount and wait and see?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Bkram1

2. Bkram1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for replying but I kinda need to know soon and I might not be able to read replies as the next town might not have internet.

3. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Now. It's very unlikely that the iPT will get an update.

4. Bkram1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

I just want to get this clear, you don't think here will be price drop? Well in that case, I'll get it in duty free.

Thanks for the help.

5. goldenlotus macrumors regular

Yeah I think it would be very unlikely that there would be any price changes or any changes to the specs this soon.

I've been using mine for a few days now. It's awesome. Enjoy!

6. Bkram1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh great, I was thinking about getting the classic but the touch is just so cool and I've already got a phone plus Iphone isn't out in Australia so once again thanks for he help.

7. F4phanatic macrumors newbie

I am wondering, so the general consensus is that the touch won't get a capacity upgrade at MacWorld then?

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

I'll find a snowball in hell before 32GB will come out at $400 in less than a month. It's just too expensive. The device has hardly been out for three months and people are already assuming that it needs more. Give it until September when iPod updates actually happen.

9. Forkaster macrumors member

I actually disagree, Creative has announced their Zen something with 32 Gb for less than an iPod Touch 16Gb, it could be cheap memory, but i think we are close to see a storage update. If not at MacWorld, then at the time Apple releases iPhone and iPod Touch's SDK.

Just my 2 cents

10. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

i will not buy a ipod touch untell they have 32gbs of memory. the second it comes out i will buy it:rolleyes:

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Is it touch screen? The iPod Nano with 8GB is $199, but the iPod Touch with 8GB is $299.

I'd expect to see an iPhone with 16GB for $499 at Macworld, and 16/32 GB iPod Touches in the Autumn, possibly with a price drop too.

12. goldenlotus macrumors regular

We are so close though that I would probably wait to make any apple purchase. The rumored ultra portable could end up being a new product along the lines of a large iPod touch.

13. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yeah, but it will probably be at least 5x more in terms of price. Completely different markets.

14. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Well, can you wait for 3 weeks? Its not too long... builds up the excitement as well!

15. goldenlotus macrumors regular

Maybe but I could see it priced around 600-700. But yeah a bit more expensive.

16. Bkram1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I've made up my mind, I'm going to wait until after Macworld and pay extra but I think it's worth it. I'd be angry if something happened there and I missed out.

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

This definitely pushes for more storage capacity in the iPod Touch and Nano.

Normally, I would say we'll see this at MWSF. However, after the fiasco with the iPhone, Apple may wait.

I too believe that 32GB will be the sweet spot. At that level, you can store enough music, videos and other to make it really worth while.

Good idea considering your feelings on the matter.

18. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

that is the safest thing to do.

15% off on something thats $400 is a lot, so maybe the extra money may be worth it, even if it does get updated.

either way have fun with you new touch!

19. Bkram1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, alot of responses, this is a great forum. Once again thanks for the help.:eek:

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Enjoy your time in Vietnam.

21. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

iPod Touch's will not be updated in January, neither will iPhones. Yes, Creative has an mp3 player with 32gb of flash storage, at $349. Keep in mind it's missing a touch screen, wifi with Safari, and everything else that makes iTouch so cool. If Apple charges a $100 premium for those things(nano 8gb $200, touch 8gb $300), then logically I'd expect one to release for $449. But, Apple never updates their iPods in Macworld, so I doubt you'll see one then. My best guess is that in June when they announce a 3G iPhone, they'll also announce it comes in 32gb of capactities, and that storage capactiy will also be making its way to the iTouch.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Are you sure its real? I was in Vietnam in September and all the iPods there seemed to be fake. Make sure it actually looks like an iPod Touch on Apple.com, and comes in a real Apple Box (they are pretty small and black).

Otherwise if you can get 15% off, it could be worth it, of course you'll have no warranty.

23. aethelbert macrumors 601

This is going to be an ultra-portable laptop, not a bigger iPod. The putative 64GB SSD alone would make it cost more than that. Just look at ultra-portable prices now. Certainly a LOT more than $600-700.

24. Bkram1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not buying it in Vietnam, I'm buying it when I arrive in Australia but before you go through customs, here all the stores are tax free. I dunno what to do because 15% off isquite a discount :confused:

25. goldenlotus macrumors regular

In my opinion, the only thing to be worried about at Mac World would be the introduction of another product, not any changes to the specs of the exsiting ipod touch. A new product is likely to be more expensive( either a little or a lot) so if you just want an ipod touch, I would go ahead and buy it on your way through the airport.

I love browsing the net on mine. Multitouch feels like the ideal way to manipulate web pages. Even if specs are changed later the existing touches are really very nice... and an update won't change that.