Should I wait with my iMac now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Bubbasteve, Jun 5, 2005.

  1. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816


    Dec 23, 2004
    Charleston, IL
    I was thinking about buying a brand new, decked out iMac for college but with more and more rumors about Apple switching to Intel should i just wait for next year to buy my iMac? I mean my parents said I could take their Powerbook with me if I wanted to (and they would have the flat panel iMac we already had)... I guess the question that I'm asking is how big of a change will the Intel chips make on present Apple Computers... I mean if I buy now will the thing look obsolete?
  2. deebster macrumors 6502

    Oct 21, 2004
    Olde Englande
    No-one really knows. But you could start with reading the ever-growing thread on this subject ;)

    It could be just an unfounded rumor, could be true in the future, near or far, or could even come true in a few hours if it is mentioned at the WWDC keynote.

    Whatever happens though you can rest assured that Apple are not stupid enough to hang their customer base out to dry by making their new Mac obselete overnight.

    At the worst there would have to be a long drawn-out changeover, perhaps similar to the OS 9 / Classic to OS X move.

    But since you have the option of using this PowerBook then why not do that and wait a while to see what transpires?
  3. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    You are lucky that you have the availably of the PowerBook. At this early stage of the transition, its hard to know how to advise. At the moment it might be best to wait if you can.

Share This Page