Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nofx2312000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
Here is my question. I am in school and need a laptop bad. my current windows peice of junk pc is on it last leg. My question is should i wait till the new mac,s come out when ever that might be. Hopefully with Lion as the os. my thing is i dont want to go out and buy a mac and then a month or two latter they have new ones in it place.

FmaxTurboSi

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2011
socal
YES WAIT!

My hp died last october. I've just been using my desktop since then. Sucks not having a laptop at school. Hopefully it'll be less than a month to go until the new mbp's come out.

skidmarc

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2011
Think about your current and any future needs, computer-wise. Determine if a current MB or MBP will do the trick for you. If you are not running any processor/gpu intensive programs you should be fine with what's out there now.

Depends on how bad you need a new laptop too. If you buy a current MB/MBP you could sell it later to offset the cost of the latest edition.

Keep in mind that you will never remain abreast of technology (unless you have deep pockets) ...just use it to suit your needs.

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

At this point, if u can wait, wait. If u can't, then u answered ur own question about what to do.

JustCreepin'

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2011
North Carolina
At this point, if you have an account on this site, and you HAVE to ask...then the only logical answer is WAIT.

If you really needed it you would have blindly bought it, then registered on the site, and be starting a thread on "Just bought a new MBP and heard about a new MBP and how long until it comes out and will the Apple Store replace it free and how come Apple sold it to me and IT'S NOT FAIR!"

It's about mid-February now...school ends in May/June...so what, 3-4 months, tops? If your computer craps out before they release a new MB/MBP, then you'll find a way to make it work.

Sorry for the reality check.

Treeman574

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
QLD, Australia
I survived all of high school without a laptop, but will be getting one for uni. I imagine you will be looking to get a 13" model for portability so wait. The sb is a huge update from C2D.

Just learn to live with the pen an paper for a little while longer.

Jdstew1234

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
I am in highschool and i am waiting, be patient. it wioo not ship with lion, lion comes out in the summer and feb-may is spring so you can

Buy now and upgrade os
Buy later and upgrade os
Buy with lion preinstalled during the summer

torbjoern

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Black Lodge
Here is my question. I am in school and need a laptop bad. my current windows peice of junk pc is on it last leg. My question is should i wait till the new mac,s come out when ever that might be. Hopefully with Lion as the os. my thing is i dont want to go out and buy a mac and then a month or two latter they have new ones in it place.

Do you really really need it now, or not?

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
I just bought my MBP last week. When Lion is released, don't we get a free upgrade to it?
No, if past history is anything to go by

Once Apple releases Lion, they'll release an upgrade DVD and sell it for the cost of shipping to people who purchase Macs after a certain date (should be around or perhaps a little before when Lion is released, not months before)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.