Should I wait?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GuitarDTO, Feb 16, 2011.

  1. GuitarDTO macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2011
    #1
    Sorry, I imagine you get a lot of these questions. Newbie here. I want a 27" iMac, and actually am almost to the point where I can say I "need" it now. I am a photographer, and also want to get up and running on Logic as I'm also a guitar player. My laptop currently has only about 15GB space left, it runs sluggish and the battery is toast (Its a dell).

    I'm interested in i7 27", 2TB+, 8GB+memory

    Anyways, what I'm wondering, can someone offer me some predictions as to when the iMacs will be refreshed, what type of hardware gains there might be for roughly the same price as the current configuration I listed above (~$2700). It will be used for heavy photography use (Aperture) and guitar recording (Logic).

    So, would you gut it out until the refresh, or pull the trigger now?
    Thanks,
     
  2. TMRaven macrumors 68020

    TMRaven

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2009
    #2
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Anywhere between now and august most likely.
     
  3. biggd macrumors 6502

    biggd

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2008
    Location:
    Calgary
  4. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    #4
    When they update the imacs, I can't see how much better the 27" models will actually be compared to the currents ones. Unless they add those new sandy bridge chips that's been rumored.

    So I would say just to buy now. It's impossible to playing the waiting game with technology. Nobody would ever buy anything if we did that.
     
  5. Pndrgnsvc macrumors 6502

    Pndrgnsvc

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2008
    Location:
    Georgetown, Texas
    #5
    My 2¢...

    The iMac is approaching its end of cycle, so on one hand you should wait. OTOH, even if you do wait, will the new/forthcoming iMac have capabilities/features that are worth the wait, especially as 9-12 months from now an even newer iMac will be touted?

    Still, I say wait if you can. But if not, go forth boldly with no regrets.

    As always, there will be new machines on the horizon.
     
  6. kukrisna macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2011
    #6
    I think the current i7 should do just fine for your needs, and honestly those refurb deals are killer! I'm thinking of picking one up myself very soon.
     
  7. GuitarDTO thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2011
    #7
    Why yes, I would be. Hence the reason I started this thread, to gain some insight from those who know apple better than I what each new refresh brings. I know the current i7 would be pretty well future proof for awhile, but if by waiting a few months I could get another 2TB in hard drive space, and double the memory, and a better graphics card for approximately the same cost, I may try to stick through the next few months. Thanks for the responses thus far.
     
  8. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    #8
    For ram it's better buying it from other websites and installing it on your own. Will be the same when when the imacs are updated, since apple rips you off on ram.
     
  9. Kaynine macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2011
    #9
    my idea

    hi i am faced with the exact same problem so my solution is to wait till:apple:hosts its next event which should be soon and then if there is no indication of a new imac im just going to buy the current one which is a great computer
     
  10. skiltrip macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    Location:
    New York
    #10
    Exactly, that's what I did.

    $1899 now for a 2010.

    Or $2199 when the new one comes out with little CPU bump.

    $300 worth it? To me is wasn't at all. Besides I needed it now.
     
  11. coryndiego macrumors regular

    coryndiego

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2008
    Location:
    San Diego, Ca.
    #11
    Get it!

    Get a refurbished 27" model for 1899.00 and then sell it when the new iMacs are released and have a few months under their belt. You may sell for a few hundred dollars less but if it's not until August when they are released you can get 6 months use of a new computer that you said you need. Early adoption can sometimes be a bitch too...if its dramatically updated.
     
  12. skiltrip macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    Location:
    New York
    #12
    I do primarily audio so the GPU really has no bearing for me. The current GPU in the i7 is more than enough for me.
     
  13. GuitarDTO thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2011
    #13
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

    I'm definitely going to consider the used option then selling when the new ones come out. After all that's exactly what I'm doing now with the Verizon iPhone!
     
  14. skiltrip macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    Location:
    New York
    #15
    Don't bother with used. Just buy from the Apple Refurb Store online.
     
  15. GuitarDTO thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2011
    #16
    A buddy at work has almost convinced me to just get it now. He said he has a 3+ year old iMac, and it still runs fantastic. Also pointed out that while waiting might get me a spec bump (more memory, larger harddrive perhaps out of the box for the same money), its not going to be any discernible difference from what I can notice while working in Logic and Aperture. Plus, external harddrives are always an option if 2TB doesnt end up being enough for the photography.

    I'm wondering though if the 2nd gen i7 still might be worth waiting for. I know deep down it probably doesnt matter though.
     
  16. ridrievaga macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2011
    #17
    I'm in this same boat. I really don't need one right now, but Im using an old ass iBook g4 and really wanting something new.

    The specs on the current ones are fine for me, but I read that one of the new updates could be a cheaper price point. If that's true, that's what I'm waiting for. I'm ok with newer technology coming out, but If I can save $200 by waiting 2 months, I'll wait.

    Is that still a thought... the lower price? Or am I just overthinking this?
     
  17. Henry Ford macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2010
    #18
    Why not buy a refurb now? If you're fine with the current specs you could save yourself a couple hundred dollars and a wait.
     
  18. GuitarDTO thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2011
    #19
    I am also a little curious to see what the new MBP's look like before purchasing, as I could go with a MBP with large external monitor for photography, and then I'd replace my Dell laptop in the process. So many decisions and too many awesome/tempting products to choose from!
     
  19. GuitarDTO thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2011
    #20
    Thank you for this. I've never seen this before. This makes it seem like we should be pretty close to a refresh.
     
  20. brachson macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2010
    #21
    and how do you know its gonna be "little CPU bump"??
     
  21. skiltrip macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    Location:
    New York
    #22
    By little. I mean the usual from gen to gen. What kind of update do YOU expect to see?
     
  22. brachson macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2010
    #23
    I dont know...that is why I avoid speculations

    But if its gonna be SB CPU its not gonna be "little" - SB seems to be decent to be honest - I think its worth to wait now.
     

Share This Page