should i wait..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Arsenal09, May 14, 2011.

1. Arsenal09 macrumors member

hi guys, i'm very excited to get my first macbook pro somewhere in the next 2,3 months. but i readed they're gonna do a redesign on it in 2012. i don't know what to do with it, cause maybe they will drop the optical drive, and i don't want that. cause for example: how do i manage to play all my games on it then? what you guys think..? buy this year, or wait for the redesign with a chance that there's no optical drive anymore.

thanks.

2. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

General rule is to buy now if you need it now, otherwise wait. There will always be something new and perhaps better comi g in the future. And no one know for sure if apple has Plans to
    Drop the optical drive in the future.

3. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

...and remember if you want to wait for the next generation because it'll be better, you will never buy. The next generation will always be better.

As said above, buy now if you need it or wait. Either way, jump in and have some fun! You won't be disappointed!

Cheers!
    -P

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

If you can afford to wait, then wait. If you need to buy now, then do so. Yes, the 2012 will be redesigned, but you have to decide if you want to wait that long.

5. aluren macrumors 65816

It's always best to buy when a new model just came out since you get the most mileage out of it before the next refresh. So as of May I think it is still ok to buy the current model.

6. Crwoo macrumors newbie

current gen are great, surely they wouldnt break just because a new one comes out.

7. Goohfy macrumors regular

Goohfy

If you wait, you will never buy. Jump in and enjoy instead of always waiting for better. The future will always have better, so go ahead and experience buying a MPB instead of always waiting.

8. palpatine macrumors 68040

read the buyer's guide (see navigation bar at top of page). only you can make that decision. there is always a new shiny on its way, so fuTure proofing has become quite an addiction. i suggest going cold turkey on this line of thinking and just buy it when you want it.

9. duncanbrodie1 macrumors member

I highly doubt that apple will drop the superdrive next year. Although it would be fantastic if they did. Such a waste of space in my opinion. I think if they were to consider doing something like that they would phase it out slowly by first offering it as an option instead of just removing it completely. But I wouldn't worry about it.
    I have the current 2011 15" MBP and it is fantastic (obviously) and I don't think Im going to feel left behind when the refresh comes. This machine will last me for the next 4 years easily.
    Like others have said already, if you need a notebook now, then buy it. If you can afford to wait, then enjoy being one of the first people to show off the 2012 line.

10. kday macrumors newbie

I would go ahead and make a purchase now unless you would be content with waiting. Obviously, the assumption is that a more modern model will be released with better specs and performance each time, but the new models were just released and it won't be a while until the new ones hit.

11. smcbaird macrumors newbie

If you need the computer now, You'll be thrilled with whatever mac you choose.
    If you're not that desperate for an upgrade atm, hold out if you like the idea of a refresh.
    Either way, you'll be getting a great computer.

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

13. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Definitely buy now. I did, and couldn't be happier. Like others have said theres always a new model coming, and if you keep on waiting for whats next, you'll never own anything.

14. MrJoso5 macrumors newbie

if they were to drop the super drive then it would just be like a MacBook Air. I highly doubt they will drop it.