Should I Wait?

ZicklePop

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
98
0
I want a Mac Mini. I currently use Windows but I hate it so much. It's a great machine, its just Windows and I don't like viruses, I've gotten 2 in 2 months so far and its a pain in the butt. I'm a very experienced computer dude and I am not patient. So should I wait intill Tiger is released or just shell out the extra cash later.

I called Apple, the money hoggin jerk who answered the phone wouldn't tell me anything.

Lord Save Me,
ZicklePop
 

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
8,089
4
Sol III - Terra
Well, since everyone is so hot on the April 1st date, you could always wait until Friday to see if it actually gets announced.

Other than that, it's up to you whether you want to wait or not. I do suggest that whatever you do, you order a MacMini configured with the options yo want instead of trying to add them later.
 

ZicklePop

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
98
0
Bear said:
Well, since everyone is so hot on the April 1st date, you could always wait until Friday to see if it actually gets announced.

Other than that, it's up to you whether you want to wait or not. I do suggest that whatever you do, you order a MacMini configured with the options yo want instead of trying to add them later.
Yes yes, thats my current plan. But I got doughts after talking to the people at Apple, them saying they are not going to do a release date, their just gonna release it.
 

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
8,089
4
Sol III - Terra
ZicklePop said:
Yes yes, thats my current plan. But I got doughts after talking to the people at Apple, them saying they are not going to do a release date, their just gonna release it.
That would be a bit of a surprise, and who knows if the people you talked to at Apple really know anything about the actual plans? The retail people are generally the last to know.
 

ZicklePop

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
98
0
Bear said:
That would be a bit of a surprise, and who knows if the people you talked to at Apple really know anything about the actual plans? The retail people are generally the last to know.
Yeah that makes since too but you wouldn't think theyd say their not inless their not over a "I don't know" statement.
 

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
1,474
0
Maryland, USA
ZicklePop said:
I want a Mac Mini. I currently use Windows but I hate it so much. It's a great machine, its just Windows and I don't like viruses, I've gotten 2 in 2 months so far and its a pain in the butt. I'm a very experienced computer dude and I am not patient. So should I wait intill Tiger is released or just shell out the extra cash later.

I called Apple, the money hoggin jerk who answered the phone wouldn't tell me anything.

Lord Save Me,
ZicklePop
Panther is a proven system. Go ahead and get the system now. Every day you wait, is a day you could have been more productive on your Mac. Get Tiger when people are comfortable the bugs have been worked out.

You can get many of the Tiger features in Panther with third party shareware and freeware:

Konfabulator, Menustrip, QuickSilver, and Launchbar provide many of the same features. You can find them on:

http://www.versiontracker.com/ and http://www.macupdate.com/
 

ZicklePop

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
98
0
gopher said:
Panther is a proven system. Go ahead and get the system now. Every day you wait, is a day you could have been more productive on your Mac. Get Tiger when people are comfortable the bugs have been worked out.

You can get many of the Tiger features in Panther with third party shareware and freeware:

Konfabulator, Menustrip, QuickSilver, and Launchbar provide many of the same features. You can find them on:

http://www.versiontracker.com/ and http://www.macupdate.com/
I think I like what you say because you say because it's what I wanna hear lol.. I'f I place my order for a Mac Mini 1.46 GHz this Saturday, when will it get here?
 

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
1,474
0
Maryland, USA
ZicklePop said:
I think I like what you say because you say because it's what I wanna hear lol.. I'f I place my order for a Mac Mini 1.46 GHz this Saturday, when will it get here?
That depends on the place you buy it from. My local Apple resellers have them in stock:

http://www.apple.com/buy lets you find your local resellers.

http://www.macprices.com/ lists several mail order shops.

Wherever you buy, don't get the extra RAM from them, unless it is Apple. Apple's RAM prices are a premium, but if you are handy with a puddy knife, you can put in your own RAM from one of these good RAM resellers:

http://www.macmaps.com/Macosxspeed.html#RAM

Or ask if one of your local Apple resellers is willing to install the third party RAM for you. I know Apple's own retail stores won't, but most third party resellers will. Just be sure to get the RAM from a good vendor in the link above.
 

ZicklePop

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
98
0
gopher said:
That depends on the place you buy it from. My local Apple resellers have them in stock:

http://www.apple.com/buy lets you find your local resellers.

http://www.macprices.com/ lists several mail order shops.

Wherever you buy, don't get the extra RAM from them, unless it is Apple. Apple's RAM prices are a premium, but if you are handy with a puddy knife, you can put in your own RAM from one of these good RAM resellers:

http://www.macmaps.com/Macosxspeed.html#RAM

Or ask if one of your local Apple resellers is willing to install the third party RAM for you. I know Apple's own retail stores won't, but most third party resellers will. Just be sure to get the RAM from a good vendor in the link above.
Theres not one and I'm wanting to customize mine with wifi and the dvd rw burner and 512MB ram. It says 2-3 weeks so I'm curious...
 

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
1,474
0
Maryland, USA
ZicklePop said:
Theres not one and I'm wanting to customize mine with wifi and the dvd rw burner and 512MB ram. It says 2-3 weeks so I'm curious...
Build to order from Apple always takes longer. But then again, you don't have to risk damaging your machine installing parts.
 

ZicklePop

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
98
0
Gimme a cookie, I purchased a Mac Mini 1.42GHz!!!! heh my first very own mac.. I knew I couldn't wait.
 

ZicklePop

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
98
0
hcuar said:
Congrats!!! Did you do BTO? :D
I dont know lol I had to look up BTO heh.. I just clicked store > mac mini > then customized it. So I don't think so.
Est. Shipping is Before/on 19th of April anyone know how speedy they are?
 

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
1,474
0
Maryland, USA
ZicklePop said:
I dont know lol I had to look up BTO heh.. I just clicked store > mac mini > then customized it. So I don't think so.
Est. Shipping is Before/on 19th of April anyone know how speedy they are?
Actually you did BTO. BTO = Build to order. When you customize your addons on http://store.apple.com/ that is a BTO sale. Those can take several weeks longer than just buying a raw machine.

There really is no way of knowing how long the order will take except to watch:

http://www.apple.com/OrderStatus for your order and to see if anything changes there.
 

Similar threads

  • MrSimonB
13
Replies
13
Views
616
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.