Should I wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LostSoul80, Jul 17, 2011.

  1. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

    LostSoul80

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2009
    #1
    Hi all,
    I already have a laptop, it's not old and I have never had any problems - I mainly use Linux on it.
    I have 2 Macs, and now I want to get a notebook :)
    The point is: should I wait for the new MBPros to come out, or just buy it now? The Buyer's Guide says the end of the cycle is approaching. What would you do in my case?

    Thanks.
     
  2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

    ECUpirate44

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2010
    Location:
    NC
    #2
    If you have all of these computers, I'd wait. The 2012 is rumored to be a redesign.
     
  3. palpatine macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    #3
    if you already have a laptop, i don't see the point in getting a new one, no matter what it is.

    but, assuming you are getting it because you have a bottomless bank account and like to have your desk cluttered with tech, then why not get the mbp? you could wait for the rumored redesign in the spring, but i suspect there will only be minor cosmetic changes made, and if there are major ones, it might not hurt to wait a cycle for them to work the bugs out.

    at any rate, the insides just got refreshed on the mbp a little while ago, so it is still a good buy, in my opinion.
     
  4. 0007776 Suspended

    0007776

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2006
    Location:
    Somewhere
    #4
    Unless you have a huge bank account and are struggling to figure out what to do with it I'd recommend waiting as you already have a decent laptop.
     
  5. LostSoul80 thread starter macrumors 68020

    LostSoul80

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2009
    #5
    Thanks for the replies.
    I'd like to change my laptop (meaning I'll probably sell the current one), this is why I'm asking suggestions here. But I don't really think my bank account, or the reasons behind my decision to buy a Macbook Pro, should be of any interest.
     
  6. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

    Neverbepeace

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2009
    Location:
    New York
    #6
    [​IMG]

    Sell the current and get the current:cool:
     
  7. 0007776 Suspended

    0007776

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2006
    Location:
    Somewhere
    #7
    In that case if you can get a decent price for your current one then go for it.
     
  8. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

    xxBURT0Nxx

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    #8
    There is no more credibility that there will be a redesign in the next refresh than when people were saying it for the last refresh....

    If you have a computer you are happy with for the next 7+ months, you can wait.

    If you don't want to wait that long, buy now!
     
  9. Liquinn Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #9
    True, but they're going to have to redesign them eventually.
     
  10. awer25 macrumors 65816

    awer25

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2011
    #10
    I'm not sure how you figure this to be true. You asked whether you should wait or buy now. If one doesn't take money or personal use/preferences into the equation, what else is there? Just your wanting a new laptop? Then sure, go buy one.
     
  11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

    Scepticalscribe

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    The Far Horizon
    #11
    If you don't actually need a laptop now, wait for the upgrades to see what the new models bring. If, in turn, that doesn't appeal to you, then, I'd suggest that you buy a refurb, as you will get an excellent laptop at a reasonable discount.

    Cheers
     
  12. LostSoul80 thread starter macrumors 68020

    LostSoul80

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2009
    #12
    Many thanks for your replies. I find all them to be helpful.

    I'm looking for other people's suggestions - motivated ones, of course. And yours is not really helpful - go buy one -, but thanks anyway.
     
  13. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

    xxBURT0Nxx

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    #13
    you are asking for advice, and then saying that the amount of money and your reasons for buying are irrelevant... so what is relevant then? Stupid topic, just like every other should i buy thread :rolleyes:
     
  14. LostSoul80 thread starter macrumors 68020

    LostSoul80

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2009
    #14
    I'd like to avoid buying a Macbook Pro if soon there will be an update. That's why I'm asking here - since we don't know the entity and time of the update, what would you do?

    Also, please, troll other topics. No one forces you to reply. If you don't have a suggestion you can avoid replying, since that's the topic. Thank you.
     
  15. Liquinn Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #15
    I'd wait if you want the possible redesign, what would you regret more? Buying one now and to find there's an update in 4-7 months or would you be happy with what you have now?

    I'm waiting ;D
     
  16. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

    xxBURT0Nxx

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    #16
    we know the update won't be around for at least 7 months, like I said.

    I don't know why you come on here asking for advice and then act as if you know more than the people trying to help you...? If you already know so much, what do you want our help for?

    How about instead of complaining, you use the search... this question is only asked 5 times a day.... I don't see anything that makes your situation so special that it needs its own thread.

    There will not be an update in 4 months... next year is the earliest you will see new macbook pros.
     
  17. LostSoul80, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2011

    LostSoul80 thread starter macrumors 68020

    LostSoul80

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2009
    #17
    I understand you do not understand. But I don't care, and if you can read, I have said a lot of "thanks" to those who have actually suggested something.

    I complain only about some users being off topic, useless and spammers.
     
  18. xxBURT0Nxx, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2011

    xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

    xxBURT0Nxx

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    #18
    maybe if you knew how to read....

    my first post was nothing but advice on YOUR topic

    I only commented on your inability to provide more information while expecting help from others.
     
  19. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2011
    #19
    I just bought a 2011 MBP and went with the 13" base model and love it. I got it for my wife because her Windows system was a hunk of junk and that's the reason I bought it. I have heard there will be a refresh in 2012 but I also was told Lion would be here on the 14th and that has came and gone.

    It comes down to if you need or want it now then just go for it. People here mention the money side because these things are not cheap. Their answer may be a little different if you say I can't really afford it now than if you say money isn't an issue. You can't go wrong with today's model
     
  20. LostSoul80 thread starter macrumors 68020

    LostSoul80

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2009
    #20
    Glad to hear your thoughts. Thank you.
     
  21. awer25 macrumors 65816

    awer25

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2011
    #21
    See, the thing is money DOES matter - why else would you ask whether or not you should wait? If money was actually NO issue at all, then of course go buy one, then buy another when the next one comes out.

    You're asking whether or not to wait, so money is therefore an issue for you.
     
  22. stevemiller macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2008
    #22
    helpful advice:

    there will always be a "better" laptop on the horizon compared to whatever is available now. buy based on whats available today and whether it feels 'worth it' to you.

    a revolutionary new redesign sounds amazing until it comes out and there's some compromises/omissions and revision A issues that make 'rev B' seem way more appealing.

    then rev. B comes out and its a more solid release, but really only an incremental improvement over rev. A. and there are some amazing new processors/tech on the horizon...

    then rev. C. comes out and there's a big performance boost, but hey, I hear talk of another redesign around the corner again...

    repeat. forever.

    now for the unhelpful but necessary condemnation: absolutely nothing in this thread will provide you with any new insight beyond the endless other "buy now or wait for next version?" threads already in existence. you can try to justify it all you want, but its the truth.
     
  23. WickedPuddin macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2011
  24. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2010
    #24
    agree only wait if you can, otherwise upgrading now should not be a big deal as there will always be a newer model that comes out.
     
  25. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

    Macsavvytech

    Joined:
    May 25, 2010
    #25
    We don't know that, do you work for Apple or something, what other inside information do you have?
     

Share This Page