Should I wait?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by djr7572, Dec 1, 2011.

  1. djr7572 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2011
    #1
    I really want an iPad, but I'm also really torn on whether or not to wait for the iPad 3 (assuming there will be a 3). I could probably be perfectly happy with a 2, as it already offers an amazing overall package.

    I certainly don't have to buy one right now ... I just want one right now :)

    Should I calm down and just be patient for the 3, or go for the 2?

    Thanks!
     
  2. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

    Vudoo

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2008
    Location:
    Dallas Metroplex
  3. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2011
    #3
    I think you should find the other 200 threads asking this question (they started about a day after the 2 was released) and tally up all the answers to see what wins.
     
  4. djr7572 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2011
    #4
    Thanks, I guess.
     
  5. aleni macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2006
    #5
    Buy iPad 2 right now and sell it later to buy the new iPad 3. Make sure to sell it a month before the iPad 3 out. Not all people are geeks who visit macrumors to check rumor about apple stuff. So a lot of people still will be buying your iPad2 nearing its end of life.
     
  6. djr7572 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2011
    #6
    Thanks
     
  7. THE BG 86 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2008
    #7
    Buy now. I was in the same debate 2 weeks ago. I couldn't wait and don't regret it at all.
     
  8. Kavier macrumors 6502a

    Kavier

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2010
    Location:
    Raleigh, NC
    #8
    I'd wait. One should be announced early next year.
     
  9. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

    Sandman1969

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2007
    #9
    If you want an iPad now, buy it now. If not, then wait.

    I could be closer to the summer before the release. It all depends on what they do to upgrade it. If it is an A6, it could be June due to supplies (according to rumors). If it is a Retina like screen it could also be June for supply/cost issues (according to rumors). If it doesn't have that, why buy it? Though, as with all Rumors... it is pure speculation until Apple announces it.

    You can sell it later and get a good bit of your money back when you sell it.
    iPad 1s still sell so you won't have any problem selling.

    I say buy it now, but that is me.. I am not you. Do what you want.
     
  10. cashville2400 macrumors member

    cashville2400

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2011
    #10
    I have been really overthinking about this myself. I think I am going to wait. My wife and daughter have been wanting a nook or kindle. I'm going to make them happy first. Then, I will get mine. Hopefully by then we will have some more info on a iPad 2s or 3.
     
  11. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2007
    Location:
    Saratoga, CA
    #11
    If I were in your shoes, I would probably buy an inexpensive iPad 1 right now and sell it when the iPad 3 comes out. You should lose less money when you resell the used iPad 1 than you would with a new iPad2.

    If the iPad 3 has the Retina display that the rumors suggest, that will be a huge jump. Much more significant than the iPad 1 -> iPad 2 upgrade IMHO.
     
  12. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

    Caliber26

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2009
    Location:
    Orlando, FL
    #12
    Buy now and enjoy the next few months with your new iPad 2. The first and second generation iPads were released in March of their respective years, so you should have at least 3 months worth of use before the next one comes out. At that point, you can just sell your iPad 2 and put that money towards a new one.

    But, as you saw happen with the iPhone earlier this year, Apple can easily deviate from expected release dates and hold off until they're good and ready. With all the rumors surrounding A6 chips and retina displays that could very well delay production. You never really know, so enjoy TODAY since it's all you've got. :)
     
  13. aleni macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2006
    #13
    we could die next month. who knows? u can sell the iPad 2 with a small loss of bucks so why wait? take the small loss of dollars as a rental fee.

    don't be cheap, enjoy life.
     
  14. Yumunum macrumors 65816

    Yumunum

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2011
    Location:
    U.S.
    #14
    This. I have a feeling the iPad 3 will be later than usual. Based on the supposed specs, it'd be kinda crazy for the parts to be so bountiful, so early. I just got my iPad 2 on black Friday, and I like it a lot. Even when the iPad 3 comes out, I might wait to upgrade until the kinks are worked out (light bleed, anyone?) It's my opinion that buying now wouldn't be a bad idea.
     
  15. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2009
    #15
    buy

    buy now..in fact, buy it today, just like I did! :D
    Anyway,with the amount of changes they plan to make in the 3 (if rumors are to be believed), it would not be safe to buy the 3 immediately! It has happened with me in the case of the iPhone 4 and now the 4S. Let the initial wave (read beta testers) purchase the iPad 3, test it out, whine in all the forums....and then you can buy the iPad 3:D.

    P.S : No offense to the "beta testers". I have been one and am one right now :)
     
  16. bosco2012 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2011
    #16
    You should wait for iPad 3 as you have had iPad 1. it may take not a long time...
     
  17. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

    Shasta McNasty

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2010
    Location:
    Southern Cali
    #17
    /thread
     
  18. dugbee macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2009
    #18
    I bought my iPad 2 a couple of weeks ago, after swearing to wait for the iPad 3. I don't regret it one bit. The rationale is that I will purchase the next iPad that impresses me enough to supersede the current model. And then give (sell? :D) my current iPad to my girlfriend.

    My main computer at home is a 15" laptop, sitting right near me where I spend most of my time. I've barely touched the laptop since getting the iPad. And at work it sits as a companion to my main desktop for personal stuff, notes/meetings, and reference books. (having the power to search PDFs and ebooks while retaining the sensation of flipping through the pages is awesome)

    Until Apple makes the announcement, nobody can tell you if the next iPad is worth denying yourself the current iPad right now. ;)
     
  19. toiday macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2011
    #19
    You should never wait for technology. There is always a newer, better version coming out. Live is too short to wait. I'm sure the iPad 3 will be better. But you don't have to have an iPad 3 if you already have an iPad 2. I prefer owning something to use it, not to show off at a Starbucks. I'll be able to use your iPad 2 for years to come.
     
  20. matttye macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2009
    Location:
    Lincoln, England
    #20
    Up to you. If you like the current iPad you might as well get it. You can always sell it and upgrade to the 3 if you wish.
     
  21. Apple... macrumors 68020

    Apple...

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    Location:
    The United States
  22. Bonch macrumors 6502

    Bonch

    Joined:
    May 28, 2005
    Location:
    Lithuania
    #22
    If you are dumb you should buy one now. If you are smart you should wait. So the real question is: are you dumb or smart?
     
  23. _Matt macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    #23
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

    Wait. You'd be a fool not to.
     

Share This Page