Should I wait?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by N3kKko, Jul 27, 2012.

  1. N3kKko macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2012
    #1
    I am really wanting to get a iMac. I am just torn between waiting until September-October to get the new iMac.

    What I am wondering is if it is going to have anything else upgraded besides the display :/ Because of that's it... I do not want to spend $$$$ because of a retina display.

    Thanks!
     
  2. wiznet, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

    wiznet macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 30, 2012
    Location:
    Canada
    #2
    Upgrades which will, almost without a doubt, occur would be:

    • Sandy Bridge CPU replaced with Ivy Bridge
    • 1333 MHz RAM replaced with 1600 MHz RAM
    • Increase in Standard RAM Configuration, from 4 GB to 8 GB
    • Current AMD Graphics replaced with next-gen Nvidia Mobile Kepler Graphics

    Upgrades which could occur [less likely], or which people wish for:

    • Removal of the infamous "chin"/re-design
    • Retina Display [very unlikely in my opinion]
    • Standard SSD, or hybrid drive [or small boot SSD]
    • Different screen size options

    If that's worth it to you, wait.

    However, I believe a more substantial increase in performance will occur two generations from now, when Intel introduces Haswell architecture into its processor lineup. If you feel like this model is for you, go for it - but if you can't wait for a new machine, go for the current one, as it is also a great computer in its own right. I wouldn't personally, but that's me.
     
  3. forty2j macrumors 68030

    forty2j

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Location:
    NJ
    #3
    It appears likely that the new iMac will have the same screen design as the Retina MBP, but not actually have a Retina screen. Primarily this means the screen will be thinner (allowing for more space for components/airflow or a thinner chassis) and have dramatically less glare.

    The primary reason not to buy the current iMac is that it shouldn't be selling for any more than about 75-80% of its current retail cost, and the SSD options shouldn't be costing more than about 30% of their current retail cost.
     
  4. scottfreeman macrumors newbie

    scottfreeman

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2012
    Location:
    UK
    #4
    This close to their launch window, I'd wait. The only reason why you might want want to wait is if you NEED a new iMac now. If you can wait two or three months, then wait.
     
  5. eddjedi macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2011
    #5
    The display is the least likely thing to change. There's no way that a home desktop/laptop class video card could drive a 2550+ pixel retina display, by all accounts the rMBP noticeably lags driving a screen with half that resolution. Besides, retina displays benefit things you hold close to your face, eg phones, tablets and possibly laptops, NOT desktops (if you sit close enough to your desktop monitor to be able to see individual pixels on a standard monitor, you're not doing your eyes any favours.)

    In reality 'all' that you're likely to get is a 10-20% increase in processor, video and RAM performance, and possibly USB 3. none of those are deal breakers to me.
     
  6. forty2j macrumors 68030

    forty2j

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Location:
    NJ
    #6
    2012 is a bumper year for mobile GPUs. I expect 80-100% increase in video performance on all models compared to their predecessors. The rest is accurate.
     
  7. gnrredphoenix macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2012
    #7
    my 2007 macbook pro has been on its last legs for a while, but im going to hold out. it really doesn't matter what may or may not be coming with the 2012 imac because the point of waiting is that the 2011 imac just isnt worth what it's selling for. if it were selling for a few hundred less than it was when it was released then it may be worth investing in, but no way should anyone be paying top dollar for year old technology. i think thats totally ridiculous, but then again thats just me....
     
  8. eddjedi macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2011
    #8
    Am I right in thinking that the 'upgrade' 2.8ghz i7 offered in the current iMac is exactly the same processor as in the 2009 2.8 i7? If so and you're not bothered about Thunderbolt, why not just buy a used/refurb iMac for half the price and then sell it if/when a new iMac comes out?
     
  9. forty2j, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

    forty2j macrumors 68030

    forty2j

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Location:
    NJ
    #9
    No. Different architecture. Intel's current brand scheme makes it extremely difficult to tell what a CPU actually is. The only distinguishing factor is the codename, that isn't on the box. (Edit: Oh, there's a part number too, that means nothing to the person looking at it.) The current iMac is Sandy Bridge, the 2009 is Nehalem. The difference in power is roughly a factor of 4, maybe more (not checking benchmarks for 2009 chips right now :) ).
     
  10. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

    Dirtyharry50

    Joined:
    May 17, 2012
    #10
    Nobody here knows with any certainty or accuracy at all if there will even be a new iMac release this year, never mind what it's actual design and specs might be. You'll read all sorts of soothsaying here but it is all just fantasy basically. In fairness, certain improvements seem likely in a new model but as to when a new model might arrive, everyone is just guessing and has no clue at all.

    If I had listened to the rumor mill two months ago I would still be waiting to enjoy the Mac computing experience. I decided the currently available iMac 27" is a very nice computer for me, does everything I could want it to do and there is no reason I should wait for a someday/maybe iMac when I can be enjoying one now.

    Personally, I think it is good to live in the moment and just go for it. That's just my take though. Maybe you could be happier waiting until whenever for something newer to hopefully come along. That of course is entirely up to you. Nobody here can make this call for you - you have to do it.

    Good luck with your decision. My vote is buy now since you asked. :)
     
  11. iapplelove macrumors 68040

    iapplelove

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2011
    Location:
    East Coast USA
    #11
    OP I'm in the same bout and been holding out since January. I'm really hoping by October at the latest new iMacs will be available however if apple were at this very moment giving a discount on their current iMac models I probably would bite
     
  12. CWallace macrumors 603

    CWallace

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #12
    If you go the refurbished route, you can save a fair bit. I purchased a mid-2011 27" iMac refurb and saved $700 over new.
     
  13. jkmags macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 6, 2011
    #13
    I really hope you are right, I love my iMac but a little better video card would be nice. The next iMac should have USB3, Current Gen CPU and better Video, if any of those items are important to you then you may want to wait. Also, depending on how long you plan on keeping your iMac before updating may also help. If you plan on updating in 2 - 3 years I would probably purchase now (referb) add applecare, have a local Apple certified center install a SSD for you and up the Ram to 16gig. This should hold you over until you need a new iMac. Personally, I will probably skip this update but next year with the new gen CPUs and who knows what they will have for GPUs I may upgrade.
     
  14. iapplelove macrumors 68040

    iapplelove

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2011
    Location:
    East Coast USA
    #14
    That's an idea I have not thought of,I have a replacement refurbed iphone4 works better that the new one I had
     

Share This Page