Should I wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleTecFan, Jan 27, 2013.

  1. AppleTecFan macrumors 6502

    AppleTecFan

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2009
    Location:
    N/A
    #1
    In the market for a new MacBook Pro, its been awhile; I have been holding on with a 13" MacBook Pro from 2009 and it can not cut it no more.

    I have 1,500 I am ready to spend, and I have my best intentions to buy this

    http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FD103LL/A/refurbished-macbook-pro-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7

    Referb MacBook Pro 15" from June of last year. Should I just purchase this outright now? or wait for a potential refresh in June. Or go up a level and purchase a Retina MacBook. I am very indecisive about this situation, I really want a new MacBook but knowing there is a refresh coming about I do not know what to do.

    Really would like a response from the community for help

    Also side question

    I live in British Columbia, and I know well there is an enviromental tax and that anyone in BC knows the percentage or explain the pricing concept
     
  2. Spink10 macrumors 601

    Spink10

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    #2
    Well if you are looking for a discounted MBP then purchase now - when the refresh comes in 2013 it will be several months (3-6 until refurbs are out).
     
  3. AppleTecFan thread starter macrumors 6502

    AppleTecFan

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2009
    Location:
    N/A
    #3
    Yeah, I really dont have intention of buying it new

    but there was a rumor of the next macbooks being all retina with a cost reduction, thats what holding me back a little too
     
  4. Spink10 macrumors 601

    Spink10

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    #4
    Yeah - it is possible.
     
  5. snaky69 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #5
    A rumor is nothing but a rumor. If you keep listening to them, you'll never buy.

    Updates to Apple's line is not going to be happening until late june, at the very earliest. Then count a few months (3-6) for refurbs to pop up, and you'll have waited nearly another year for an update which may, or may not, benefit you.

    You have not listed any intended usage for your computer, perhaps the 2009 model is perfectly adequate for your needs already, it may simply need a bit of an upgrade.
     
  6. AppleTecFan thread starter macrumors 6502

    AppleTecFan

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2009
    Location:
    N/A
    #6
    My current MacBook is very bogged down, cannot handle games like League of Legends, nor handle iMovie editing (if I have an app like iTunes opened, iMovie will not respond), watching videos on youtube in 1080p stutters and lags. Everything in general is bogged down its a chore to open chrome. To add on the trackpad is broken, won't click (younger brother done something to it)


    The MacBook I plan to buy should succeed in everything sufficiently and more, correct?
    I may even buy this referb Retina MacBook Pro
    http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FC975LL/A
     
  7. snaky69 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #7
    In that case, any 15" machine with a discrete graphics card will beat the crap out of your current machine power-wise.

    Your choice from there.
     
  8. AppleTecFan thread starter macrumors 6502

    AppleTecFan

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2009
    Location:
    N/A
    #8
    what would you rate the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory and the Intel Graphics 4000 out of 10? just want some opinions
     
  9. Spink10 macrumors 601

    Spink10

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    #9
    This would be a good idea if you can afford paying a few more benjamins!
     
  10. Liquinn Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #10
    I say buy now. If you can wait, then wait. Macbook's hold their value lots as well. Be happy and buy now. :) If you always wait for the next big thing, you'll never buy anything.
     
  11. Freyqq macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2004
    #11
    I'm waiting until haswell. I want them to fix that glued in battery idea of theirs. If they could make mba batteries removable, then they can do it for rmbps too.
     
  12. AppleTecFan thread starter macrumors 6502

    AppleTecFan

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2009
    Location:
    N/A
    #12
    what do you mean glued battery
     
  13. Spink10 macrumors 601

    Spink10

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    #13
    rMBP's battery is glued to the machine.
     
  14. Freyqq macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2004
    #14
    As a result, it is virtually impossible to replace the battery without also replacing part of the case.
     
  15. AppleTecFan thread starter macrumors 6502

    AppleTecFan

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2009
    Location:
    N/A
    #15
    hasnt that been the case for a long time. And its going to change next update?
     
  16. Spink10 macrumors 601

    Spink10

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    #16
    No - No (most likely)
     
  17. AppleTecFan thread starter macrumors 6502

    AppleTecFan

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2009
    Location:
    N/A
    #17
    Is the Retina Macbook worth it over the regular?

    starting to think of getting it, but I am not sure if losing half my storage as I was planning to bootcamp windows 8 and give it 100gb for gaming and whatnot so I am really not sure
     
  18. Spink10 macrumors 601

    Spink10

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    #18
    Retina is an amazing screen - I personally prefer my cMBP. If you are doing bootcamp and need that much GB to go to windows the 256GB may not be an option for you. Its a huge increase for the 512.
     
  19. AppleTecFan thread starter macrumors 6502

    AppleTecFan

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2009
    Location:
    N/A
    #19
    I thought up pros and cons for both non retina and retina MacBooks

    Non-Retina

    Pros
    Cheaper
    Larger Hard drive
    No website issues

    Cons
    Heavier
    Slower hard drive
    Okay display
    Less ram
    Behind the curve



    Retina

    Pros
    Retina Display
    Lighter
    Its thefuture
    More ram
    Better cooling system

    Cons
    Expensive
    Less website support
    less harddrive space

    eh.

    It looks that the Retina looks like the better MacBook for myself,
    But the harddrive space difference is an issue for me :/
     
  20. derbothaus macrumors 601

    derbothaus

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2010
    #20
    Helping the list out a bit.

    Non-Retina

    Pros
    Cheaper = debatable (after some upgrades)
    Larger Hard drive = Yes.
    No website issues = Yes.

    Cons
    Heavier = Yes
    Slower hard drive = Can be faster since you can use whatever. I use a faster SSD than the retina.
    Okay display = Yes.
    Less ram = Can be 16GB for $80.00.
    Behind the curve = What curve? The curve of less is more?



    Retina

    Pros
    Retina Display = Yes.
    Lighter = Yes.
    Its thefuture = So what? Same Procs and GPU in classic. As stated the future is not here yet thus website issues.
    More ram = See above
    Better cooling system = subjective

    Cons
    Expensive = Sort of.
    Less website support = Yes.
    less harddrive space = not if you get the 768GB.
     
  21. skaertus macrumors 68030

    skaertus

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2009
    Location:
    Brazil
    #21
    Seems like you have some things to consider. Don't hurry up, there's a lot you may want to think of before you buy it.

    First, you should decide if you want the retina MacBook Pro or not. The Pros and Cons you just listed are OK, provided that you don't plan to upgrade the Mac (in this case, the non-retina version would be the better choice). Keep in mind that Apple will discontinue the non-retina versions sooner or later, as it is around us for more than 4 years now. The retina is really the future, although some people may not like it. Now, the non-retina version is definitely cheaper, and if you want to keep it cheap, you should go for it.

    You should also consider that: (i) the non-retina MacBook Pro may be discontinued this year, so perhaps it's the last chance you can buy it; (ii) the retina version may get cheaper the next release, but not by too much, as SSDs are still expensive and they are perhaps the most expensive component of the laptops (even more than the retina display); (iii) Haswell processors will only be released on June 2, 2013, so you won't be able to get a Mac equipped with these processors before June (and perhaps later than June); (iv) Haswell will focus on power management, and not on performance; (v) any refresh coming before June will feature slighly updated Ivy Bridge processors; (vi) if you want to play games, you should pay attention to the video card, and even think of a Windows laptop or desktop to go along with your Mac.

    There are lots of rumors saying that new MacBook Pros will be released in June, and that the retina versions will get cheaper. There are rumors everywhere. They may or may not turn to be true. That's how it happens. Place your bet.
     
  22. AppleTecFan thread starter macrumors 6502

    AppleTecFan

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2009
    Location:
    N/A
    #22
    what I meant by the future and behind the curve is, more and more high res displays will be coming

    and purchasing a 768 for the retina is expensive

    ----------

    I only do plan of buying a referb MacBook, as discussed earlier it may take nearly a year for the latest macbooks to pop up. What is your opinion on this?
    The perspective is I am not in desperate need of a new MacBook at this moment, Money is not too much of a deal, I do want a new MacBook fairly soon. Would you wait it out or buy either the non or the retina right now
     
  23. skaertus macrumors 68030

    skaertus

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2009
    Location:
    Brazil
    #23
    That depends on what your needs are. I would wait to buy a retina MacBook Pro when it gets updated with a Haswell processor. I intend to buy the 13" and not the 15" version.

    But, again, my needs are different from yours. I don't use my laptop for playing games, nor any video demanding app. I have to carry it with me all day, so the smaller and lighter MacBook Pro will fit my needs. In addition, the Haswell processor will provide for a better battery life, which will be very welcome in the context of my usage. As I want text on the screen to look bleeding sharp, I want the retina display and I will not settle for a lower resolution. And I will buy it brand new, as I am in Brazil, and Apple does not sell refurbs here. So, my choice is clear, and it is different from yours.

    If your issue is raw performance, then you should buy it now, as Haswell will reportedly be only about 10% faster than Ivy Bridge. Video cards will be faster, though.
     
  24. derbothaus macrumors 601

    derbothaus

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2010
    #24
    Not disagreeing just adding.
    Anyone wanting a 13" should wait for haswell unless Apple starts putting in dedicated GPU's. 100% video performance increase seems to be the projection and 10-15% CPU.
    From Anandtech:
    "You can expect CPU performance to increase by around 5 - 15% at the same clock speed as Ivy Bridge. Graphics performance will see a far larger boost (at least in the high-end GT3 configuration) of up to 2x vs. Intel's HD 4000 in a standard voltage/TDP system. GPU performance in Ultrabooks will increase by up to 30% over HD 4000."
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6355/intels-haswell-architecture/14
     
  25. AppleTecFan thread starter macrumors 6502

    AppleTecFan

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2009
    Location:
    N/A
    #25
    10% does not seem likea huge deal, battery life is also not a big deal

    so buying retina is your option, good to know
     

Share This Page