Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gavzooka

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
I'm due an upgrade at the moment. I currently have a Samsung S3 and as I've now gone all Apple throughout the house, it's logical that I go for an iPhone in my opinion.....plus I'm fed up with the unreliability of Android devices, they are good....but I'm fed up with constant tweaks and then resetting things because of buggy software....I want something that just works!

My question is whether in peoples opinion, should I wait for the next iPhone to come out?

Some rumour the next iPhone is going to be out in June...which is ideal as I have 2 contracts in the house that I get the upgrades from...both 2 year contracts and end in different years....my other contract ends in June next year, the current one just ended....that means if I wait until June, going forward, I upgrade every 12 months. However, I don't want to wait until August/September onwards for another phone........this is my problem...plus I'm impatient!

Thanks in advance...

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i decided not to wait and upgraded right away when the phone came out. i mean its up to you. i cant see anything huge that would make the next model really worth waiting for.

Hail Caesar

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2013
If you need it and want it get it, if you continually wait on new tech releases you will never buy anything. iPhone 5 is great phone and will be supported for a few years.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I'd probably get the iPhone 5 now, but wouldn't wait too much longer - otherwise it makes more sense to wait from May onwards.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
My opinion is to wait since you are halfway through the life cycle of the iPhone 5... however, it's just an opinion and ultimately it's your call since it's your money

simply stunning

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2010
I personally would buy the phone. Now if it where 2 months from now, I would wait. The thought being that I can tough it out for a little while, but your looking at about 6 months before the time when they historically release there new phone. (at least the 4S and 5, not counting the original through the iPhone4). So I would say I am good to wait to a point, but it does make the decision harder as you are in the middle of the cycle.

Good luck to you!

Knockworstface

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2013
I'm on the iPhone 4 now and I've decided to just wait until the iPhone 5s is released until I upgrade. As much as I love the iPhone 5 I'll just wait until the 5s is available so I'll have the latest and greatest at that point. My iPhone 3G died on 7/13/11 so I had to upgrade to the iPhone 4 and 2 months later the iPhone 4S was released. I just want a super fast iPhone that will be future proof for a long time. I think with iPhone 5s will be that device. :apple::D

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
I just got the iPhone 5 last week. I actually paid full retail; unlocked. Do what you want. I couldn't wait until August? September? I'm happy. It sure beats my 4S in everything. Well worth the money.

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
It's completely up to you. Although, if I was in your situation, I would just get it now. If history repeats itself and the rumors are correct, the 5S is just gonna be incremental upgrade.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
If you need it and want it get it, if you continually wait on new tech releases you will never buy anything. iPhone 5 is great phone and will be supported for a few years.

Yea but with a new iPhone coming out possibly in 3 months it would be a smart consumer decision to wait.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Time waiting for the new release is experienced like dog years. It could very well be 6-8 months (if the past is any indication) and that is a long, long time. Time you could be diggin' your new phone. Now if you have a 4S, for example, I'd wait for the 5S.

Mellisaray

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2013

yes, i agree with your opinion, if you really need one, do not consider too much, just go to get it!:D

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Why not just sell the S3 and buy a used iPhone? Should be able to get $300 or so for it and add some cash and you wouldn't spend anymore out of pocket than buying one on contract. Then you have the upgrade available whenever the 5S comes out.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
I would defiantly wait as it is 3 months to the iOS 7 announcement and 6 months from today to the iPhone 5S announcement/release.

Umi71

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2009
iOS 7 can teh standard 5 run also so no need to wait for that, and 5s depends if you are satisfied what teh 5 do now and dont need any new stuff that it can brign but I don't think the 5s will bring very much new to table.

Gavzooka

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Thanks all....I jumped in feet first....now a proud owner of an iPhone 5 :)

megany

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2013
I am in the same situation, want to get rid of my buggy Droid and make the switch. My question though is when will the price of iPhone 5 drop in relation to the 5s release...? I don't want to pay $199 now (w/my upgrade) for something that might be $99 in a month...

Christian 5G

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2010
Orange County, CA
Same problem :) want to go get the 5 but something holds back to wait untill June July.... For me I am very interested in fingerprint sensor that hopefully will be included in next one.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I am in the same situation, want to get rid of my buggy Droid and make the switch. My question though is when will the price of iPhone 5 drop in relation to the 5s release...? I don't want to pay $199 now (w/my upgrade) for something that might be $99 in a month...

I guess you need to wait till the next phone is put. The price won't really drop till then.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010

The price wont drop until the iPhone 5S is released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.