Should I Wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iOllie90, Jul 8, 2014.

  1. iOllie90 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2014
    #1
    Hi,

    I'm going to University in September and want a Macbook Pro again.

    At the moment I have a Windows 8 laptop which I absolutely hate and I want to get rid of it for a Macbook Pro ASAP.

    Will there be upgrades/tweaks to Macbook Pro's this August or September? If so I'll happily wait for them. But if there isn't going to be any changes I may as well proceed to buy my Macbook Pro next week.

    I'm from the UK so I'm not sure when we'd be getting the changes.

    So do you think I should wait or just buy it next week? And what is getting changed (if anything) in August/September?

    Thanks.
     
  2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

    T5BRICK

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2006
    Location:
    Oregon
    #2
    If there are any updates in the next few months, they'll be fairly minor.

    Just buy a refurb and save a couple hundred bucks.
     
  3. AdamskiUK macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2011
    #3
    Recent reports have stipulated that the next generation Intel processors for mobile devices have been pushed back as far as Q3 2015 for consumer release.

    Nobody's quite sure if that info is true, but it's from a reliable source IIRC.

    That means that we won't see a major refresh until towards WWDC 2015 (June) and any minor revisions that may occur this year will be slight boosts in processor speeds - literally 0.1-0.2GHz boosts. There is nothing to wait for if you need that laptop in September.

    Buy it now so you're even happier.
     
  4. Truthfulie macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2013
    #4
    Next update will be minor. The one after that will be worth the wait, but that's most likely Q1 of 2015.
     
  5. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2011
    #5
    You should get an education discount if you don't like the refurb options. I don't think there is anything to wait for at all.

    Thunderbolt 2, upgraded gpu just got into this cycle. Maybe a speed bump, maybe a small gpu update is next.
     
  6. iOllie90 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2014
    #6
    Thanks for all of the replies.

    So to confirm, it's unlikely there will be any changes to the Macbook Pro this August/September and on the off chance that there IS changes, they will only be tiny minor changes?

    Thanks
     
  7. iOllie90 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2014
    #8
    So to confirm, it's unlikely there will be any changes to the Macbook Pro this August/September and on the off chance that there IS changes, they will only be tiny minor changes?
     
  8. MattZani macrumors 68030

    MattZani

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #9
    Any changes coming soon will still be on the Haswell chipset and as such just a spec bump. There could be a dGPU update but I think they will wait for what will now be the 2015 Broadwell update.
     
  9. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

    TheIguana

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2004
    Location:
    Canada
    #10
    From your post, it sounds like your going need a computer come fall. Apple has a pretty good deal with a $100 gift card in addition to the student discount on right now for new Mac purchases.

    No one can confirm that... we don't sit in on the meetings between Tim, Jony, Dan and Phil.

    Best guess: Yes, Broadwell isn't expected to be out before late this year at the earliest. I would advise you to base your decision on what you need to get your work/school done now, not what the future prospects of a computer could be in a year.
     
  10. iOllie90, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014

    iOllie90 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2014
    #11
    Hmm. Do you think I should wait until September just encase? I would be able to wait until September to buy my Macbook Pro but it would literally be a few days before I have my first lesson so it would be cutting it fine.

    Or do you reckon I should just go for it and purchase it tomorrow?
     
  11. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2009
    Location:
    Melbourne, AU
    #12
    I'd say wait until the first week of September. It's highly unlikely that the update would be major this year though.
     
  12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

    T5BRICK

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2006
    Location:
    Oregon
    #13
    I'd just go buy one now. Any updates in the next few months will be minor, if they happen at all.
     
  13. capathy21 macrumors 65816

    capathy21

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Location:
    Houston, Texas
    #14
    This...

    Get in on a sale right now through Apple's student discount plus iTunes gift card, or by going through Best Buy's student discount plus mover's coupon.
     

Share This Page