Should I wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by leftfoot, Mar 14, 2006.

  1. leftfoot macrumors regular


    Mar 14, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Hi all, I'm new to the boards and I have a few questions.

    1. I want to purchase a G4 iBook 12" model,I heard of the Apple event on April 1st, and heard of the possible Intel iBooks, Should I wait untill the keynote, or jump on the G4 before it vanishes off store shelfs?

    2. I also have a G4 Tower running 9.1 (yes, shame on me)

    - 500 mhz G4 PowerPC (possible bottleneck)
    - 1024 Megs of ram
    - 30 gig HD
    - DVD drive

    Are those specs good enough to run the latest version of Tiger?
    And if it does run, how fast should it run?
    I Also have a 60 gig 5g iPod, If get the iBook, will I be able to store the information from my G4 onto the iPod and reload the information once (and if) I install Tiger?

    Thanks for any help!
  2. asherman13 macrumors 6502a


    Jul 31, 2005
    SF Bay Area, CA
    1. The rumored Apple event on or around April 1st is just that: a rumor. It has not been confirmed via a legitimate Apple invite in any way, however, the time to buy an iBook G4 ldecreases by the day, as everything will for sure be using an Intel processor by next January. Nine months, I know, but it's like my Sudoku philosophy: I have to be certain before I make a move. That, however, is just me.

    2. Yes, you'll be able to run Tiger. I ran it on my iBook G3 with 600Mhz and 384MB of RAM, and it ran pretty decently, until the HDD died. Although you could easily use the iPod to transfer your data, Apple Retail Stores (if that's where you'll go for the iBook) offer a free one-time data transfer with the purchase of any new Apple computer. If you either are ordering online or don't want to bring the G4 with to the store, you should get a firewire cable and do a Target-Disk-Mode firewire transfer.

    If you get whatever consumer laptop Apple releases that uses an Intel processor (iBook/MacBook), keep in mind that you probably (I'm not positive on this) won't be able to use the Mac OS X Install Disc to install Tiger onto your G4, so I don't know what you'll have to do regarding that aspect. If you get an iBook G4, you will be able to install Tiger onto the PowerMac via the Install Disc that will come with the iBook.

    EDIT Welcome to MacRumors, and I hope that helps.
  3. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a


    Feb 17, 2006
    I guess the real questions are:

    1) Do you need a machine now, or can you wait?

    2) Does the iBook G4 suit your current needs? And, will those needs be changing drastically during the life of the product?
  4. bill4588 macrumors 6502a


    Feb 2, 2006
    Kennesaw, GA
    how soon do you think the PPC iBooks will be "obsolete" or no longer supported?
  5. leftfoot thread starter macrumors regular


    Mar 14, 2006
    Austin, Texas

    1. I need the machine ASAP

    2. As long as the iBook runs Flash, Photoshop cs2, Dreamweaver, yes.
  6. solidbreakz macrumors regular

    Sep 21, 2004
    If I was in YOUR situation, I'd go for a 12" iBook or a discounted 12" PowerBook (similar specs, different casing, better kb on the PB). AS of yet, Adobe/Macromedia have not released Intel compatible universal binary versions of Flash, Dreamweaver, OR Adobe CS2. They won't be releasing such versions until probably end of '06/beginning '07. So if you NEED it now, BUY it now!

    Just remember to BTO the iBook with at least 1GB of RAM (512MB built-in) or buy it elsewhere and have it installed at a AASP. To run DW, Flash, AND me..more memory, the better.

Share This Page