Should I Wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lakhany07, May 12, 2018.

1. lakhany07 macrumors newbie

I’ve been figuring out whether I should wait for WWDC and maybe you guys can help me decide. My 2014 laptop just gave out (water damage) and I need a new MacBook Pro. I’m working off an iPad right now but I would prefer to get a laptop as soon as I can.

I don’t use it for anything complicated — most of my use is on movies, videos, music, word, excel, email, etc. I feel like the model with the touch bar and 16 gbs of RAM should handle all my needs and the processor upgrades with the 2018 models would largely be lost on me but what do y’all think?

It seems that, besides the processor upgrades, there won’t be much of significance — perhaps an upgrade to the keyboard but I believe they updated that last year and would be surprised if they did a major upgrade on it this year.

It does not seem like there are any feature upgrades (like Face ID). But perhaps y’all know better. Given my uses, will there by any day to day benefits that I would notice by waiting for a new model? Thanks.

2. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

It’s only 3 weeks until WWDC. May as well wait at this point.

3. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

4. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

There's is no rule. If it's a minor Update it can be immediately, if they have problems like with the iMac pro a few months:)

5. Closingracer macrumors 68040

I would wait and buy a 2017 cheaper when places like Bestbuy will sell them on sale

6. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502a

remember apple has a 2 week no questions asked return policy (more like 3 because they give you about 10days after the return label is printed) to be safe I would wait till a week from WWDC, buy the 2017 you would want then see what apple comes out with.

if what apple announces is awesome you can buy the 2018 and return the 2017 if its not you could keep the 2017.

it will also give you a chance to try that divisive excuse for keyboard on the 2017 and see if you hate it or not (if you do and the 2018 isnt made of magical unicorn farts i recommend the 2015 retina Macbook Pro)

7. Closingracer macrumors 68040

I wouldn't. Even if you know you want a 2017 I would wait until AFTER they announce it. You'll get it cheaper

Seriously if you wipe it down before you close it and don't eat like a pig you'll be fine

8. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502a

assuming that is true and the 2017 is cheaper after the 2018 is released and you wanted a 2017, my sugestion is still best as you could still return your then overpriced 2017 and buy it at the reduced price.

people keep mentioning "wipe it down" and "dont eat like a pig" but you dont seem to grasp the people who hate the butterfly keyboard hate it fully functional, its higher failure rate is just salt in a already open wound.

try before you buy (or commit to keeping anyway) is logically the best option if your curious, it will cost you nothing if you dont want to keep it other then the ink for a return label and dropping off the return package (or calling UPS for a pickup)

9. 537635 macrumors 6502a

DO NOT, under any circumstance, buy the 2016 or 2017 version and expect it to last more than 2 years. I would definitely wait.

10. Closingracer macrumors 68040

Paranoid? My 2017 is almost one year old and still works like new. Please no need to spread misinformation out. There is people who claim to have faulty keyboards and there is also people who have no issues.

In general people who don't have issues don't say anything. It's always the ones who do who speaks. Don't spread your opinions like it'd gospel because it's not.

11. 537635 macrumors 6502a

Of course, there are people who have problems and there are people who don't. There are 20.000+ signatures on change.org in a week or so. There is a class action suit in progress against Apple because of that. I don't know... there might be something to it. Absolutely, OP might get a great machine. Besides the keyboard this is honestly the best laptop I've ever had (15'' 2016). But the keyboard is crap. Plain and simple.

I'm not discouraging anyone. I'm not spreading gospel.

I am only saying, with the 2016 and 2017 MBP you're in Vegas. Roll the dice if you want.