Should I wait?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Sverkel, Jun 19, 2019.

  1. Sverkel macrumors regular

    Sverkel

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2007
    Location:
    Denmark
    #1
    Hi. I'm planning to buy the new Mac mini in the small standard version, but now I hear rumors that Apple will update it this October and I don't know if I should wait? I would basically use my upcoming Mac mini for the things that my iPad Pro 12.9" wouldn't be able to do with the iPadOS. I do a little bit of SD video editing (I know the iPad might be better at this :D) in iMovie completely at hobby level, ripping some DVDs, making a boot disk and other little things where it is nice with a larger screen, keyboard and mouse.

    Do you think that maybe the upcoming Mac mini update will mean something in my case and should I wait or should I just buy now?
     
  2. G4DPII macrumors regular

    G4DPII

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2015
    #2
    The Mac Mini was only just recently updated. It is highly unlikely that it will see another update so soon given the recent rate of updates.
     
  3. OldMike macrumors 6502

    OldMike

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2009
    Location:
    Dallas, TX
    #3
    I don't see a meaningful update coming out anytime soon, myself. I'm usually cautious about the timing of my purchases - but I still ended up purchasing the 2018 Mini a few weeks ago. Even if there was an update (which I highly doubt), I still don't see any meaningful changes coming to the Mini anytime soon.

    I'd say you are safe to buy now - with the added benefit of RAM prices being very low which will allow you to upgrade your Mini on the cheap. If you are planning on running off of TB3 external storage - fast NVMe storage is really cheap now and there is also some decent deals on TB3 NVMe enclosures (TekQ has a couple of products that are high quality and sub $150 now).

    I guess I'm trying to say that I think now is a great time to buy a Mini without the overpriced Apple upgrades :)
     
  4. 007p macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2012
    #4
    What would you gain from an update? The only thing a potential update will bring is slightly faster CPU. Graphics (it’s greatest downfall) won’t be updated.

    I suppose you may get lucky and they fix some of the issues that you can read about here (Bluetooth etc), but then you gamble on what new issues the new one might bring.

    I’m buying this week, I don’t see any meaningful update coming any time soon, not ones that matters to me anyway.
     
  5. mpfuchs macrumors 6502

    mpfuchs

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2014
    Location:
    VA
    #5
    I just got mine a few weeks ago.
    Decided the time was better spent using the Mini instead of waiting for a new one to 'maybe' come out.
    Glad I did it. Like mentioned above, if updated at all this year, I don't foresee any radical improvements.
     
  6. Sverkel thread starter macrumors regular

    Sverkel

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2007
    Location:
    Denmark
    #6
    Thank you all for your advice :) Now I just need to find out if I should take the i5 model instead ;)
     
  7. richmlow macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2002
    #7
    Hi Sverkel,


    I think that it would be fine to purchase a Mac Mini right now. I know how you feel since I am in the same situation as
    you are in. I will be replacing the ancient Mac Mini at the university (2008 model, believe it or not) with the most recent one. I'm planning to make the purchase within the next couple of weeks.

    There's no point in endlessly waiting for "the next best thing", as technology moves along. Just buy the appropriate tech. tools and enjoy, as life is short!

    Of course for my personal computers at home, you can see my signature below. =)

    You'll find the most recent Mac Mini will be much more powerful than your iPad Pro.


    richmlow



     
  8. Alex 88 macrumors newbie

    Alex 88

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2013
    #8
    Commenters here are wrong. They're ignoring the fact that Apple Arcade is coming to the Mac, and 10nm Intel chips are launching and bringing huge gains in integrated graphics. This combo will have Apple refresh CPUs on Macs sooner than they would have, based on previous trends.
     
  9. brentsg macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2008
    #9
    Intel has no 10nm desktop CPUs ready. They have struggled significantly and will instead be countering AMDs new processors with price cuts and a new stepping for their existing lineup. You are making a strong statement that others are wrong, but with no facts to back it up.
     
  10. 007p macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2012
    #10
    Even if we overlooked the fact that these chips (that were suitable for the mini) are in fact ‘launching’...they couldn’t be used in the mini without a redesign. Apple aren’t going to redesign the mini so soon.

    At any rate, the 9th gen CPU has barely just launched, and these have no improvements in GPU. The 10th gen chips you want won’t be out till next year at the earliest.

    There’s plenty of roadmap ‘leaks’ to support this, but happy if you want to prove us wrong. It makes complete sense for intel to release 10th gen chips literally weeks after releasing their 9th gen right?
     
  11. Cheapassmac macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2018
    #11
    Seriously? Just no. Apple doesn't have a high priority for the mini. It took them 4 years to update the machine, 6 years if you don't count 2014 as it wasn't a true upgrade. Intel graphics aren't going to be leaps better, nor is Apple really putting any extra effort for gaming.

    Be realistic. Buying a mac mini now is fine, the next one isn't around the corner, nor will it be a huge upgrade to current models. 2018 update was massive for mini fans because Apple needed a stop gap for pro users outside of the iMac Pro. Now that the modular Mac Pro is back, don't expect the mini to get this treatment again.

    I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get a new mini until 2020 at the earliest. The 2018 model might even be the last Intel or x886 based mini, which could impact application compatibility.
     
  12. tibas92013 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2013
    Location:
    Costa Rica
    #12
    A few weeks ago I purchased a Refurbished i5 MM 2018 3.0GHz,8GB Ram, 256SSD from the Apple On-Line Veterans Store at a discounted net price of $1000 which included Apple Care Plus.
     
  13. Fishrrman macrumors P6

    Fishrrman

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    #13
    OP:

    If you "wait" for a "new" Mini, my prediction is you'll be waiting for a LONG time...! ;)
     
  14. alphaswift macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2014
    #14
    10nm for desktop is still a long way off. If you need a system, I wouldn't wait for that.
     
  15. ryne275 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2018
    #15
    Maybe they'll do a "quiet" refresh this year? With the 9-gen Intel processors? I am still on the fence about picking one up now since we're only a few months out from what could be a refresh. Hate to drop $1k on the i7 six core Mac mini if a new iteration is around the corner.
     
  16. 007p macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2012
    #16
    This is of course a possibility, but the point is, the gains are minimal. Might get slightly faster CPU, but the mini isn’t really lacking in that department. iGPU will remain the same. I don’t know what the thermals are like on the 9th gen though - not so sure whether an 8 core would work out in the current mini due to the heat.

    Obviously its never nice if something slightly better comes out so soon after purchasing, but as mentioned here - that’s pretty much always the case these days. If you need/want it now, might as well buy it now.
     

Share This Page

15 June 19, 2019