Should I Wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gsl942, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Gsl942 macrumors newbie

I am a student, and would like to purchase a macbook. I want to know if I should wait until January for this "ultra-portable" to come out, or is that going to replace the MBP? If it is replacing the MB, is it worth it to wait? I figured that if the new MB/P doesn't turn out to be what I'm looking for, I can always get a refurbished MB, but are refurbished computers OK? Will it work as well as any other computer? Thanks in advance!

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I'd buy now. If you don't have the money to buy an MBP now, you're not going to have the money to buy the ultra-portable either, as it's surely not going to be offered at the MB's prices.

It isn't. Not unless you count the 12" Powerbook as a replacement for the 12" iBook. They're catering to different price markets. If the computer is covered in aluminum, it's not going to sell at MB prices, so the "wait" question doesn't apply unless you were already seriously looking at MBPs.

Refurbished computers from Apple are every bit as checked--more so, in fact--than their new stuff. To be honest, I'd feel safer buying a refurbished computer than a brand new one, as I'd know it had already been double-checked.

3. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

The new Macbooks have just been recently updated, so it's a good time to buy. If you're eyeing for an MBP then you should wait.

4. damitch macrumors newbie

damitch

hmm. actually in the same position as you but yea. WAIT!!! patience is a virtue :) i am contemplating that thought as well so yea. wait and see cause i want the back lit keyboard and the nvidia card.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Does Apple's current lineup of products suit your needs today? If yes, buy now. If no, wait. Do you need ultra portable? If yes, wait. If no, buy now. Do you want ultra portable but not sure if it will come in January? If yes, wait. Put the money you would normally spend on technology in a long-term investment because if you constantly wait for technology then you'll never buy. If anyone tells you there is something coming in January be aware that they could be right but you won't know until Apple announces it.

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

People seem to be under the delusion that the new UP offered in January, should one arrive, will essentially be a lighter, sexier version of the Macbook offered at Macbook prices. These people are going to be very disappointed when they hop over to the Apple store the day these things become available.

7. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

well said madam

8. damitch macrumors newbie

damitch

honestly speaking the specs would very much be the same as the MB but casing would be the same as MBP, What makes pple think of the UPC's prospects, is the weight and size

9. Gsl942 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help! I think I'm going to buy now.

10. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Wise choice!

11. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

12. Josheua macrumors regular

....so you want a macbook pro?....yeah that isn't going to happen. Sorry buddy. Apple will not be giving the macbook any fancy new features yet (and especially not features that truly set the MBP apart from it). Not till June of 2008 anyway. The most recent update was a major refresh for the product line. Macworld 2008 will see the Macbook Pro go to Penryn in order to distant it from the current generation Macbook which is already on its heals in performance (sans the graphics card and stock 2 gigs of memory) and you will see the ultra-portable MBP (with rumors going around that it will be about 1500 dollars...which is same as the blackbook).

So should you wait, yes. Should you wait for a macbook that has an nvidia graphics card and backlit keyboard? No.

-Josh :apple:

13. alex2402 macrumors newbie

I'd buy now.

I wouldn't wait. just go and buy one. you have great options right now.