Should I wait?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sinafl, Sep 12, 2008.

1. sinafl macrumors newbie

Any possibility of a larger size/ price cut of the touch coming in the near december? I am trying to see if I should hold out for a little longer or buy one now.

2. only macrumors regular

Aside from a rare reseller promo for a meager discount, you probably won't see either till after January.

3. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

New (and cheaper) models just came out this week. No more changes are likely this year.

There's always a CHANCE that a 64GB version could be added at the high end, but I wouldn't expect the others to change in price even if so, and I wouldn't expect any feature changes.

Some people like to hold out for a few weeks on any new model (from any company) just because occasionally some problem is caught and fixed early on. But that's your call. It's not a major factor.

4. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

bit early to be askin about xmas sales isn't it? lol case of buy now or see if they have a special christmas pricing.......... highly doubt they would release a larger capacity for christmas if they were gonna do that they would of announced it on the 9th at the let's rock thing

5. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

buy it now

As the others say, buy the ipod touch now. Untill christmas there will be no newer/cheaper ipod touch. And the most innovating things for the touch have already been reached. You've got games. I don't think there's much new to expect on the newer ipod touch. And neither will there be pricedrops.

6. PeteB macrumors 6502a

PeteB

It would piss me off if Apple release a bluetooth enabled Touch early next year. It's a feature I'd find really useful.

7. Sief9 macrumors newbie

You can if you want, but the iPod touch uses flash memory instead of hard drives (I think) so thats why they come in 8, 16, and 32 (And not numbers like 60, 120, and 160). If they upgrade the size anymore they'd have to move to hard drives, such as the iPod classic, and it would probably be an 80GB one, that's fatter and heavier.

They usually come out with a new iPod every summer I noticed.

So if you can fit all your music or movies onto a 32GB iPod Touch, then go for it.

8. Clayne macrumors 6502

I've been debating what to do myself... the earliest I'd be getting one is December.

32 gig isn't enough, but if they aren't going to release a 64 gig soon, then I might as well go with that.

But if in January they release one, I'd be angry.

Unless maybe I could exchange and pay restocking.

9. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

That is the thing that is stopping me right now, I have only ever had the 4th Gen U2 iPod, so if I get a Touch I won't be getting (well intending to get) a replacement for a few years, so until we know more about this Broadcom chip I won't drop the $$$, also, I would really like a Skype client.

10. iamtherealandy macrumors newbie

I'm waiting until a it is proven that there is reliable...

VOIP ability in the touch 2g. Has anyone achieved this? And by achieved this I do not mean while plugged into a desktop. Sort of defeats the purpose. I mean wandering around, find a hotspot and bang I'm talking. Is this possible with the 2g touch?

11. Aeroplane macrumors member

I'm thinking the same

I'm thinking the same, bluetooth was the thing I wanted the most for the new 2g ipod touches, but meh, we all got let down. :confused:
    now, how long will it take for someone to confirm that indeed the chip is or is not blueetooth capable, so we can finally get the touch? to me that nike+ thing seems useles (i'm a bit lazy and don't have much time to work out) but who knows, maybe i'll end up using it, I even swore myself I'd never get an ipod lol it's just that my brother bought one last july and i thought it was much more like an apple pda or something.

off topic: does the touch include apps to put books in it and the sorts? *med student here.

12. greg555 macrumors 6502a

I don't think new models are coming soon. But if you wait a couple of months the new models will show up in the refurb store. Then you can save the 20% or so that Apple discounts them, or maybe go one size up for roughly the same price.

Greg

13. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I've have read barely any of what other posters have said so I may be repeating something that someone else already said.

With the 2G iPod Touch's you're good for the next six months at least.
    I am predicting they will come out with a 64GB if February (I think people may have said something along those lines) like they did with the 32GB.
    I don't think there are going to be any changes other than that besides a few software upgrades/bug fixes.
    It is although, a possibility that they may enable blue tooth in it either in February or next September.

14. gusto5 macrumors member

6 months is too early for any hardware changes, even from apple. Things that are potential would include a bigger harddrive as mentioned, or higher firmware to allow stuffs ($9.99 for bluetooth? =D)

buy now or wait a year.

15. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

That's what I meant, about 6 months until they upgrade the capacity.