Should I Wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by homrb, Jul 7, 2009.

1. homrb macrumors regular

Hello everyone,

I am looking to buy one of the new macbook pros. I am aware that they were upgraded about a month ago but i was wondering, should i wait it out and see if they will upgrade again in september with the release of snow leopard, or just go ahead and buy one. But please keep in mind that I would prefer getting one as soon as possible, but if it means i should wait another 2 months to get an upgraded one, then i will do it.

2. covertyows macrumors member

well, not an answer to the hardware question, but they are offering cheap upgrades to snow leopard for those people that buy a new mbp during a certain time frame before it releases. i think it is $10 for snow leopard

3. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Just buy now and pay $10 for the Snow Leopard upgrade.

4. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

if you don't need now wait, if you want now, buy now :eek:

5. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

IMHO Buy now. :) Apple isn't going to do a hardware upgrade on the MacBook Pro range in September, as you've said - they just did an upgrade.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Exactly; if you need a computer, buy it now and add whatever upgrades become available later. If you merely want a new computer, then I'd suggest that you wait.

However, my advice, for what it's worth, is that you buy it now and enjoy using it. People can spend an endless amount of time second-guessing themselves as to what will be unveiled at the next "event" to feature new, or up-graded computers.

Cheers and good luck

7. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

Akira1980

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Next update to the notebook line is most likely going to be sometime in early 2010, not September.

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Looking at Buyer's Guide, there's a pretty regular 8 month cycle, which would indicate February next year. (and that ties in with changes /. updates to several hardware components - USB3, possible CPU line switch, ignoring the GPY Nvidiai Intel problem).

Get one now, they won't update in all likelihood for another 6 months as before.

10. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

Same, I'll be ordering mine soon and I'm not expecting an upgrade anytime soon.

11. Jisuo macrumors 6502

Most said they wouldn't upgrade at WWDC too and the still did it.

So I echo the words: buy if you need it, don't if you can wait (maybe in vain).

12. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Good Lord, we need a "should I wait?" sticky.

Why limit the wait til September? Why not wait til the following WWDC? Or the one after that? Or 2013? Why not just wait til you're too old to use a computer and save some money?

13. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Just because the line was recently updated doesn't necessarily mean you should buy one now. It depends on what you want and need.

USB 3.0 will be a significant move forward when it comes out and I guarantee you all those who purchased a MBP just prior to whenever that update occurs will be very upset. However, I'm guessing that update isn't likely to occur for 6-9 months.

As soon as USB 3.0 comes out, within a few months the market will have tons of equipment that is compatible with that standard.

If you have a functioning computer now that satisfies your needs I don't why you would buy a new one today--get the maximum use out of what you have and save space in the landfill.

14. fireman13 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I agree.
    just buy it if you need it, don't if you don't. End of story.

15. napalmit macrumors newbie

New hardware will always be coming out. If you don't take the plunge because your waiting for something that is uncertain two months down the road, you will never buy anything.