Should I wipe my stolen iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by 2A Batterie, Jul 16, 2014.

1. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

My iPhone 5s was stolen. I have it locked down with passcode and fingerprint. The thieves tried to use it once about 40 minutes after they stole it. but have not turned it on since. I want to wipe the device but, according to Apple's site, I can't track it and it will then be able to be activated by anyone. I certainly don't want either of that.
    Please see "4" at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5668
    Is it gone forever and totally able to be activated if I do wipe it? Is there a site I can put my S/N and/or IMEI so that it is blacklisted from being activated?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They cant do nothing with it.
    Its activation locked once you wipe it.
    Also even if they tried to restore it before you wiped it they cannot get passed the activation screen cause it will ask for your apple ID and password.
    Without that info they will never be able to use it. So either way, its useless to anyone else but you.

3. I7guy macrumors G5

Since your info is safe, why not let it be and see what turns up? Side question, Did you have control panel enabled in lock screen?