Should I worry about 3G/iPhone usage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by umdjb, Aug 2, 2008.

1. umdjb macrumors regular

Does anyone know the effects of using 3G and or the iPhone given all of the chips/instrumentation inside? I mean do you this the energy emitted from the phone can be harmful for your body/dangerous to your health????

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

You have to be kidding me right? OH NOES, WATCH OUT FOR THE EVIL 3G RAYS TO GET YOU!!

3. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Just make sure you are wearing your tin foil hat. Make sure you use the industrial tin foil not that stuff from the grocery store. On another thread someone made a statement that this form was full of techies, does techie now mean an idiot who bought a gadget?

4. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

The iPhone has a .974 SAR level. source

That's a bit on the high side, but not extreme. CNet lists the 10 best (lowest radiation) and worst (highest radiation) US models of phones.

The higher ones are about 150% of the iPhone's radiation levels.

In other words, no need to worry about it relative to any other phones.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

No worse for us than all the toxins in the air and junk in our food. :)

There have been many studies and theories about this, but I don't think there is any conclusive scientific opinion.

6. stevin macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure that was for the first generation iPhone the 3G has over a 1 SAR... I want to say ~1.38 but i'm too lazy to go check

7. umdjb thread starter macrumors regular

Give me a break, I do not think that I am alone on this or completely without merit....

8. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

1.38. Good call. Previous thread here at MR.

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm not sure how, beyond the vague "cell phones will give us brain cancer in 20 years" paranoia, people can think that a FCC approved phone will hurt you...if it was emitting harmful levels of anything, ti wouldn't have been approved.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If cell phones caused cancer, we'd all be dead by now ;)

11. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

There's more than a little fault in your logic there, even if I do agree with your main point. :D

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

(laughs
    yeah, I should have stopped when I put faith in a government agency. But for vague reasons I can;t back up, I just don't feel like it's something you need to worry about.

13. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yes, you should be concerned with mobile phones. No tinfoil hat here, but menthol cigarettes used to be good for you and the US got rid of leaded gas for a reason. There isn't yet enough data to demonstrate conclusively if cellphones are good/bad for you (same with vision correcting surgery). Something doesn't have to hurt you right away to hurt you.

With that said, since I started using cell phones I can't remember my piano lessons or my father. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_radiation_and_health

14. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Is that so wrong? :D:D

15. frotomerket macrumors newbie

here what the apple iphone 3g manual says...

iPhone contains radio transmitters and receivers. When on, iPhone receives and
    sends out radio frequency (RF) energy through its antenna. The iPhone cellular
    antenna is located on the back of iPhone near the dock connector. The Wi-Fi and
    Bluetooth® antenna is located near the back top edge of the iPhone. iPhone is
    designed and manufactured not to exceed limits for exposure to RF energy set
    by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) of the United States, Industry
    Canada (IC), and the recommendations of the Council of the European Union.
    The exposure standard employs a unit of measurement known as the specific
    absorption rate, or SAR. The SAR limit applicable to iPhone set by the FCC is 1.6
    watts per kilogram (W/kg), 1.6 W/kg by Industry Canada, and 2.0 W/kg by the
    Council of the European Union. Tests for SAR are conducted using standard
    operating positions (i.e., at the ear and worn on the body) specified by these
    agencies, with iPhone transmitting at its highest certified power level in all tested
    frequency bands. Although SAR is determined at the highest certified power level in
    each frequency band, the actual SAR level of iPhone while in operation can be well
    below the maximum value because iPhone adjusts its cellular transmitting power
    based in part on proximity to the wireless network. In general, the closer you are to
    a cellular base station, the lower the cellular transmitting power level.
    iPhone has been tested, and meets the FCC, IC, and European Union RF exposure
    guidelines for cellular, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth operation. When tested for use at the ear
    and for body-worn operation (with iPhone positioned 15 mm (5/8 inch) from the
    body), iPhone’s maximum SAR value for each frequency band is outlined below:

[​IMG][/URL] [​IMG][/IMG]