Should I worry about my new 3GS having misalligned screws?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by frostrambler, Jun 26, 2009.

1. frostrambler macrumors member

Anyone have a slightly misaligned bottom screw? If I look at the two screws on the bottom of my phone, the right one is slightly higher than the hole, higher than the last screw too, you can see some of the metal that surrounds the screw below it. The dock connector between the two screws is slightly angled too because of it, the right side is slightly higher.

Should I be worried about this? The cable still goes in (although a bit roughly, though that may be the cable). Phone works great, but I am afraid that maybe since the screw and dock connector is uneven, when I insert the dock cable, it may break off a connector or something? Also if the speakers are also skewed, wouldn't the plastic of the phone lower volume and decrease sound quality, if the speakers are covered by plastic, rather than completely by the speaker grill.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The phone is otherwise great, excellent display, no dead pixels, no yellowing. Is this something I should worry about? I am afraid that in like 3-4 months, the dock connector inside will snap because the cable probably puts extra friction on it each time I plug it in, and it may break and Apple will not replace the phone, blaming me.

2. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

3. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Yeah, its going to fall apart in your hands any second now.

4. frostrambler thread starter macrumors member

I don't really care about the misaligned screws, I am more worried about the slanted dock connector, the pictures don't really show it, but it is not straight. When I plug the cable in, you can feel the extra pressure needed on the left side of the phone. I am just worried that in a few months, the dock connector may snap, and apple may not believe me when I explain that the extra friction from the docking cable may have caused it.

5. entity macrumors regular

Can you try unscrewing and reseating the screw?

6. Sebby macrumors 6502a

That's pretty shoddy. To be honest, it would annoy the hell out of me once I knew it was there, even if it wasn't having any impact.

7. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

OMG people around here have some serious OCD.
    I never noticed mine has the same issue until this thread.
    I am not going to worry about it, I have a 1 yr. warranty.

8. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

mine looks the same...

a little crooked on the left side like yours. Seems fine plugging it in etc.

9. Sebby macrumors 6502a

Just because things like that don't bother you don't mean they won't bother others. Maybe you should look up the definition of OCD, because let me tell you, that's not it.

10. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Agreed. We must keep higher expectations and demand consistency from Apple.

Apple must inspect their products better to keep high quality control, otherwise, their manufacturing facility in China will soon turn itself into an average Chinese factory.