Should I worry about this about my first iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cuper, Mar 28, 2012.

1. cuper macrumors newbie

I own several apple products including iphone, ipod, ipad, and macbook pro. But this is my very first iMac and it arrived yesterday (refurbished 27 imac 2011 from apple store).I am excited, but the first set up was not smooth. After I pressed the power button, I heard a tone, but the screen was totally black. I waited for about a minute, still nothing showed up. I tired to turn it off and on again. It didnt work. If I typed in the keyboard or move the mouse, I could hear those sounds from the speaker indicating that I was navigating through the set up options, but the screen was black. After aobut 20 minutes, I started to be panic and dialed the apple care number. As I was trying to reach a technician over the phone, the screen suddenly lit up. Ever since then, everyting seems normal. I have installed software, created boot camp disk, install windows, surfing internet. Everything is quite nice so far. But I still could not help wondering what the problem was when first trying to set up the imac. Anyone has a clue or heard something like this before? Thanks.

2. Grease2310 macrumors member

I know this shouldn't be an issue based on time of year and the fact that you don't live in the bitter cold north but if the iMac (or any screen I have found) is particularly cold and then instantly brought to warmth (via powering on for example) it does wonky things to it including simply staying deluminated.

3. Ccrew macrumors 68020

What GGJ said :)

I got my 27" brand new out of the box and it absolutely refused to recognize that it had a wireless card or Firewire. Dinked with it, even called Applecare who advised me to just return it. Not one to give up so easily I reflashed the EFI on it and it came up, and has been flawless since.

My new Mini I'm going to chuck out the door soon, more kernel panics than all my others combined.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you diagnosed the source of the kps?