Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2013
Hi everyone,
I just got this refurbished Mac Mini M1 (I got it because it's a 2TB 16gb, same specs I had on my 2012 Mac Mini, so to make the switch easier). It was sold as in optimal condition, but looking at its back panel, I noticed this weird defect in the grid.
Should I be worried and return it? Frankly, I have no idea how can you even cause something like that, given it's pretty recessed. Anyway, I'm curious to hear what you think. At a glance, the computer is working fine, I haven't started working with it, but I tested the drive and checked things here and there without any issues. Let me know if I can do some more specific check-ups.

Cheers,

IMG_20230315_183243.jpg

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
does everything work? will it bother you knowing it's there (as no one will see it). am guessing a gremlin pulled the bars apart to escape the mac, but otherwise... it's just bent. if you can live with it and everything works, i'd get on with life.

but do what feels best to you.

Reactions: Brian33

carylee2002

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
It doesn't affect performance...it is just the fin for the heat fan to let out hot air from the CPU. I be worried about the hdmi port...it looks like it went through hell to look like that.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Looks like a very minor and unnoticable ding, but I guess it could indicate that it was dropped or something. I'd weigh the inconvenience of returning it against how well it's performing now.

My hunch is that if nothing seems to be broken and there's nothing obviously rattling around inside or something, it might just be fine. Besides the fan, it's not like there are a lot of moving parts in a Mac since HDDs were phased out.

SRQrws

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2020
Given the proximity of the bent fin to the HDMI port and given that the HDMI port was obviously used quite a bit, my guess is the former owner was reaching around the back of the Mini to plug in an HDMI cable and accidentally pressed the corner of the male connector into the fin. I doubt the bent fin came from dropping the Mini because the fin area is recessed slightly and there's no damage to the case nearby. If everything's working fine (including the HDMI port), my guess is you're good to go.

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
I'm curious how it is holding up? I guess it also matter how much you paid for it (no need to say) because that would also determine if the "damage" is worth it in my book.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.