Should I worry or not?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DPtheKid, Sep 28, 2015.

1. DPtheKid macrumors member

DPtheKid

So the first night I got my iphone 6s+ I had it sitting next to my laptop while syncing, fell asleep around 11 and woke up at 3, I found I had left my iphone near where the hot air was being pushed out on my laptop and awoke to the iphone being really hot and the warning screen being displayed, it was in a tech 21 tpu case so i picked it up and moved it and within 30 secs I was able to use the device, my question is should I be worried at all or should I go in a exchange for a new one?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You should not be worried at all. The iPhone will display a warning on screen if the device overheats and it will run in a reduced power/operation mode until it cools. That feature is designed to protect the iPhone from hitting a temperature that would damage it, but this warning screen does not mean the iPhone has already hit that temperature. It's a protection mode so that it doesn't.

The fact that you make no mention of seeing that screen means the iPhone never got hot enough to hit overtemp.

Don't worry about it.

3. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Does your iPhone work? If yes, then don't exchange. If no, then exchange.

C

4. jermy4 macrumors demi-god

I'm sure it's fine. If it gets too hot a warning will come up on the screen.

5. DPtheKid thread starter macrumors member

DPtheKid

I forgot to mention that, I did see that screen lol

6. DPtheKid thread starter macrumors member

DPtheKid

did see that screen forgot to mention that, sorry.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Ahh. Still no worries. As I said in my amended post, the iPhone is designed to display that screen before an actual damaging temp occurs. Still no worries.

But if it bothers you, keep an eye on it and if you notice issues, then exchange. Don't think you'll have anything to worry over though.

8. DPtheKid thread starter macrumors member

DPtheKid

Ohhh! I thought it displayed that when the damaging temp was occuring, I've been worried crazy ever since now I can rest easy, thanks so much!

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Sure, no problem. Apple has this feature in almost all of it's devices (if not all of them). They are designed this way to protect the device from reaching that damaging temp.

It is always possible that you could reach a damaging temp of course, but unlikely.

10. lordhamster macrumors 6502

Other than vastly decreased battery life, there is nothing to worry about. :)

[​IMG]

11. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

So he should get it exchanged even though he's the one that broke it (if it did break)? Don't think so.

12. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

13. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

It shouldn't die just because it had warm air from a laptop blowing on it. It's designed to shut off before damage occurs. If that didn't happen (regardless of what caused it), it's defective.

It's not like he stuck it in the oven or under a heat gun...

And frankly, my point was more "Is it working? Then don't exchange"...

C

14. DPtheKid thread starter macrumors member

DPtheKid

Love the humor lol

15. DPtheKid thread starter macrumors member

DPtheKid

Why would it be defective if that didn't happen? I thought it displayed the warning then shut off once it was damaged

16. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

True but some of that heat that comes out of a laptop, isn't just warm - it's hot. Sitting a phone in it's path for hours on end is never good.

Then again, these phones are much more durable than people think. Not an issue :)

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It displays the warning first. If heat continues to spike it will shut off. That's how it's designed to work. So the phone does not get damaged.

If this does not happen then the phone is defective because it is SUPPOSED to happen by design - to protect the phone.

18. ACURA2015 macrumors regular

Do what you feel most comfortable with, you paid an expensive price for your iPhone, for Apple that's not a loss, and keep in mind you're still under your 14 days for a full refund. Worth mentioning, I have a friend who returned his 6s after installing an app called "dead spotter" and discovering he had 2 dead pixels on his LCD, you cannot tell at all if it wasn't because of that app, so i encourage everyone to download that app, you might discover a couple of burnt pixels.